UV Sterilizers: Are the benefits a MYTH or a REALITY?

Do you believe the benefits of a UV sterilizer to be a Myth or Reality?

• Myth

Votes: 60 6.9%
  • Reality

Votes: 533 61.6%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 251 29.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 21 2.4%

• Total voters

Xero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to target 336000uw/cm2 or higher to kill ich. There are studies showing it can take anywhere from 300k to 800k to kill ich in saltwater. Freshwater might be good in the 180-380 range. I usually take aquaUVs 90k flow rate and divide by 4.

U

User1

View Badges
1. Favorite search engine - search for UV & saltwater fish only and/ or reefs (mixed, sps, lps, soft corals). Plenty to read to build your own pro and con list.
2. Check out some work done by our friends at BRStv:

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 23 years, I've never used one. So I'm only speaking from inexperience. Nonetheless, my question is about copepods. Wouldn't a UV sterilizer kill any copepods and amphipods that flow through the system? I know they're not necessarily swimming around all the time, but is it an issue?
I suspect at a slow enough flow rate it might kill them. But my filter sock effectively kills any that get suck down to the sump anyway.

pherr2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manufacturer gives the flow specs for what you want to accomplish.
I have used a submersible unit for my 150g reef and just put it in the overflow. Haven't had ANY iche or fish disease since. Originally got it for an overdose, then clouding, of NOPOX.....fix in 8 hours. I would be er take this unit out now.

Greego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just over 3 weeks ago, I installed a UV sterilizer on my 150 gallon tank. Prior to installation, I had to clean the glass every other day. After the UV installation, I have to clean about once per week.

The water clarity definitely improved since the installation. However, earlier this week, my bristletooth tang developed some type of infection and died yesterday. This was the first infected fish I had in any of my tanks in years. The irony is killing me...

Doug Junge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question but does running a Algae Turf Scrubber and UV make sense?

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here’s a photo from the Aqua UV website. The slower the flow rate the more planktonic food supply for the reef gets destroyed. Faster flow rate is ideal for reefs.

D8F3751F-0ACD-4953-9D6F-E93ED06FBD68.png

Xero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take most of what Carl writes with a grain of salt. I did ask him for his opinion, back when BRS did their video about "algae vs ich" flow rates. I showed him the video and we chatted a little about it. He's definitely got a lot to say on the subject, but how much is just anecdotal, and how much is backed by science, that's another question. I did mostly agree with what we'd talked about in our little private conversation, but it was more specific to whether running "dual uv " is worth it - we basically agreed, probably not, especially if its only helping you with the "uglies" phase.

What's truly hard to find is hard numbers, hard data. He's got this way of saying very little with a lot of words.....this skeptic has always been skeptical of these sort of "squeeze pages" of information. There's almost always a sales pitch at the end. And he does sell UV, of course (I've bought a 110w from him, admittedly)

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a photo from the Aqua UV website. The slower the flow rate the more planktonic food supply for the reef gets destroyed. Faster flow rate is ideal for reefs.

D8F3751F-0ACD-4953-9D6F-E93ED06FBD68.png
Nice. Thanks for that thereefingguy. Super interesting.
However, what are they trying to control then? if not the planktonic bacteria?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby since the 70's. I have never used one. I do not really see the that it has much benefit. I do believe they wi work but they also kill things in the tank I want there. I will run without most are not teally strong enough to work well also.

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK...SO WHICH UV IS THE PICK OF THE LITTER?

HOW DO I SIZE ONE? MY Red Sea MAX S 5OO IS MIXED REEF - 135 GAL WITH SUMP.

THANKS.

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV has its uses and it’s most certainly not a myth, I say this as a someone who works for a manufacturer and services for other manufacturers (not aquaria) They are used successfully for sterilisation in dairy and brewery applications. What is questionable is what exact benefits it does in the Reef Aquarium, for example it’s ability to damage Protozoan, especially the dinky little things most of us have. Like most things, the correct application is more important than a simple token gesture.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 53 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back