UV Sterlizer or Carbon Reactor

KirkL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon hex tank that was started about 6 years ago, with salt water fish, but have been really excited about making it a reef tank. I have approximately 30 different corals in the tank, and am very fussy about the water being crystal clear, and do water changes every week to keep it that way. I have been looking into getting a UV sterlizer or a carbon reactor, and wanted some thoughts on which would be the better choice, if I can’t go with both. I currently have an Oceanic tank with a wooden stand below, that houses a canister filter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always passively use activated carbon in the canister and use the uv sterilizer.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second what he said. I love having a UV. Keeps water clear and issues down. Every time I do maintenance on the tank and forget to turn on the valve for the UV when done.... I run into problems. Running carbon in the canister filter will also help for pristine water.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill Hader Reaction GIF

OP
OP
K

KirkL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second what he said. I love having a UV. Keeps water clear and issues down. Every time I do maintenance on the tank and forget to turn on the valve for the UV when done.... I run into problems. Running carbon in the canister filter will also help for pristine water.
Thanks guys. That makes a lot of sense. I have heard at the fish store that I go to, that the problem with UV sterilizers is they do kill bacteria, but they also kill good bacteria in the tank. Is there anything to that, or do the benefits outweigh the negatives? Thank you very much.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess an easier way to answer this is. Depending on flow rates etc. Any bacteria that is in the water column that goes through the uv sterilzer will be killed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back