UV

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's weird how the Pentair's have a much much much lower flowrate for parasites and bacteria, but the Aqua Ultra Violets are still in the thousands... Any idea why that might be? As I said in my other post here, I'm thinking about getting one and wanting to learn, right now they're nearly a mystery to me :-D
Also if you do a blow by In the plumbing you can slow any sterilization unit down to 50gallons an hour if you wanted to. I wouldn’t recommend it but just saying.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure look at the volume those are 1” pipes feeding that thing! Also pentair is really good at suggesting flow rates, thier stuff is used on commercial water purification! So they are probably overkill, I do have to add pods and phytoplankton because anything that goes through this thing is gonna get fried! This is why I don’t run a refugium well that and space!
I guess I'm confused. Your 55watt (Closest I could find was 50) unit suggests the following flowrates:

• Algae & Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 1560GPH/1980GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)
  • Protozoa Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 260GPH/330GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)
While the 57 watt unit from Aqua UltraViolet suggests:

Saltwater Reef Applications: 2133 GPH - 3200 GPH

Protozoa Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 1066 (min), 3200 GPH (max)

Personally, I'd be running it to combat Algae outbreaks, which means with either of them I'd be running in the thousands of GPH anyways, but if I wanted to try and control parasites, one requires much lower flow than the other, even though they're comparable units I would imagine...

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm confused. Your 55watt (Closest I could find was 50) unit suggests the following flowrates:

• Algae & Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 1560GPH/1980GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)
  • Protozoa Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 260GPH/330GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)
While the 57 watt unit from Aqua UltraViolet suggests:

Saltwater Reef Applications: 2133 GPH - 3200 GPH

Protozoa Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 1066 (min), 3200 GPH (max)

Personally, I'd be running it to combat Algae outbreaks, which means with either of them I'd be running in the thousands of GPH anyways, but if I wanted to try and control parasites, one requires much lower flow than the other, even though they're comparable units I would imagine...
Yeah probably the 57watt I have ordered so much equipment for this tank can’t keep track of it all. Based on thier recommendation I’d say yeah. Obviously the 50 gph was just me joking you wouldn’t run something that low! I think pentair design is way more efficient than others also making sure it’s installed and plumbed correctly for YOUR tank needs etc. mine during ich was honestly dialed back to 800gph.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pentair Aquatics is a much better unit than the other brand. Pick one with a quartz sleeve to prevent actual contact with the lamps. Also make sure you can clean the sleeve and remove the biofilm that builds up and reduces efficiency. TMC makes great units as well.

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
should be running between 2133 and 3200GPH for Saltwater tank application
I talked to them a few times and they just give the company line. I asked the tough questions and they could not answer them- I think they are full of it.
Also talked to a few reps at BRS and they pretty much say the same thing that they are not giving a true measure.
BRS also believes the ratings for Pentair give a more accurate flow rate and I tend to agree. for the record, I have a 57watt AquaUV running on my 155. Logic says, and according to AquaUV, the 57watt is over sized for my tank.
pushing between 2100 and 3200GPH through your sump is unrealistic. AquaUV also suggests not to run it at a slower rate to sterilize ick because, and I quote "it kills good bacteria". That is BS!

I have been researching the optimal way to run a UV. most say run it on your returns or a closed loop. I seen many have success dumping it back into the sump. I dont think that is a bad thing if your sump is large enough

I am still trying to figure out how i want to use this filter and flow rate!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back