Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by dbl, May 2, 2016.

Vacation Time!!!

As we approach the vacation season once again, your Reef Squad thought it might be a good idea to address some of the questions that keep some...
  1. jgvergo

jgvergo Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

ATO and DO/DI water ready to go?

2. Jet915

Jet915 Active Member

Yeah, luckily I have a 5 gallon ATO reservoir that takes about 9-10 days to deplete but I will have a premixed (kalk) 5 gallon reservoir just in case. I always have 20 gallons of RODI at all times as well in my garage.

jgvergo likes this.
  3. Dan Korczak

Dan Korczak Member

Talk about a great writeup. I know I’m getting an ATO to help with any future trips.

dbl likes this.
  4. Ray Panti

Ray Panti Member

My preparation for vacation is like that:

I will cut the sump, I have a hob skimmer, and I bought a canister filter, I will drop the spare heater in the DT and autofeeder for the food.
    I will drop the Salinity to 1.020 so with the evaporation to not have more than 0.002- 0.004 increase (I have a 30gal DT).
    I will ask a friend to pass by once a 2-3 days and ask to add a cup of rodi water in the tank.
    I am thinking that with a canister filter is less likely for something to go wrong.
    What do you think?

5. Jay1982

Jay1982 Member

What's the benefit of cutting the sump? How do you keep circulation going in there? Are you only running a skimmer in the sump?

6. jtl

jtl Active Member

So far I have only been gone overnight so the true test is yet to come. We are planning to take a 7-10 trip in the near future. My biggest fear is a power outage. I have a generator that saved me when I lost power for 7 days during hurricane Irma. My plan is to set it up, fueled and ready to go. It starts pretty easy and will run 8 hours on a tank of gas. Most outages we have are short, like a couple of hours.

The next issue is a leak, unfortunately that is a tough one. Not likely to happen but if it will be a disaster. I suppose I could lessen the odds by eliminating my sump and just rely on my powerheads in the DT for circulation.

If I lose my light I have a spare, not a great one but it may save the day.

My ato is good for 10 days at 1 gallon per day, I don't dose anything but I suspect that will change pretty soon as the stony corals are growing nicely for a change.

I will have someone check on things every couple of days and have the lfs on call if a problem arises.

7. Ray Panti

Ray Panti Member

The 2 powerheads will still be inside the display working, the only difference is that by cutting the sump and replace it with a canister filter and a hob filter filtration will be poor, but one week will do, by that I am avoiding disasters like overflow loosing the siphon or ato malfunction, wich will cause devastestions in my tank if I am not there to fix it wright away.

8. Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel Valuable Member

One thing i've noticed when away from the tank for 4 days is ALK consumption goes up.. I tried to simulate the reason by not touching the tank for 4 days (when home), but no conclusions. For example, Alk was 7.9 range for weeks and after 4 days away dropped to 7.2dkh. This has happened to me at least 5 times. I figured it was overfeeding when I was home but its something else.. Perhaps higher PH with no one in the house, not cleaning the glass, or that I tend to feed heavier the day before leaving. I would advice anyone leaving get there tank used to pellets on a autofeeder and increase you 2 part dosing slightly perhaps 5-10% Also, I got a cloud cam from amazon which is excellent since I leave the cabinet open so I can see the tank, lights(if there on or off), water level, ATO, Temperature, and doser, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted