Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by dbl, May 2, 2016.

Vacation Time!!!

As we approach the vacation season once again, your Reef Squad thought it might be a good idea to address some of the questions that keep some...
  1. JoeIII

JoeIII Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

When I was on Verizon fios my ip never changed. Now that fios in florida was bought by frontier, it changes every time my firewall reboots.

2. Divenoy

Divenoy New Member

Im on holiday right now will be gone for a month. hope things are alright when i comeback I've done all the check list except for the webcam.

3. Clownfish2

Clownfish2 Member

I have successfully trained my wife to detect, turn off, and change out a faulty heater as well as a return pump which gives me a little extra piece of mind when I travel for work every week.

4. Neptune 555

Neptune 555 Active Member

I really like the idea of webcam to keep an eye on the fish. For those of you who are using this.. can you share your model number / cost and how it is working out for you? Is it pretty reliable as in when you are away for a week it remains working does not need to be rebooted? and how do you mount the camera for best viewing of the tank and fish.

5. jgvergo

jgvergo Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I got a Dericam 1080P Full HD WiFi IP Security Camera, 30 fps, Pan/Tilt Control, 4x Digital Zoom. Works well.

Neptune 555 likes this.
  6. jakeh22

jakeh22 Active Member

What you need is an apex so you can monitor your system anytime and give whomever is sitting the tank access to your apex to sort out any problems or keep lights on etc. this has saved my tank multiple times.

I ran out of oil In my house and apex low temperature readings kept going off and I knew something was going on so it could even be the house not the tank and still be a lifeline

Neptune 555 and jgvergo like this.
  7. jgvergo

jgvergo Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I have both, an Apex and a video camera. The Apex gives me a huge amount of information and the camera allows me to see what's going on. Here is my Apex dashboard :)
    Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 8.55.35 AM.png

jakeh22 and Neptune 555 like this.
  8. jakeh22

jakeh22 Active Member

I want to get a video cam I think it would be a great addition...ps nice levels

jgvergo likes this.
  9. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I personally use a Foscam web camera. I found it easy to set up and use. The model I have has tilt and zoom as well. But there are many choices.

10. Ghostchili

Ghostchili Member

I was gone for 11 days. I used a Nest cam to watch the auto feeder and skimmer cup. I also used a 27 gallon tote for a temporary ATO reservoir as the 5 gallon might have run dry close to the end.I had to have someone stop over once to empty skimmer. This summer I will be gone for 3 weeks so I'm a little more worried.

11. LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I like the idea of doing a “test run” before leaving town. Pretty much leave your tank alone for the time you will be gone and see what happens. Only empty the skimmer cup when it will be emptied when you are on vacay, only feed how they will be fed when you are gone, etc etc. That way you can pinpoint potential problems and tweak the vacation plan for your tank before you head out of town.

dbl likes this.
  12. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Well I just got back from a 5 day trip myself and all went well. I must have followed the guidelines in the original post...wink, wink.

13. andrewkw

andrewkw Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Since there are no reefers around me I have someone come by ONLY if the power goes out. This allows me to ask someone close by who would have no reefing experience but understands how to start a generator / refuel ect. I leave extension cords running to my tanks all around the house 2 extra gas cans just inside the shed and the generator. If he has to come he has to start the generator, follow the extension cords and everything that needs to run on generator power has green tape on the ends of the outlets - I just leave this forever since it's easy enough to explain.

The worst thing that can happen is the power goes out long term. If say a dosing pump failed and dumped a bunch of alk anyone I get would not be able correct that problem so this is all I can do to plan for emergencies. If I had to I could get someone to feed the fish but in 1 week they aren't going to starve.

14. tidefanjam

tidefanjam Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Well, my first vacation of more than a couple days since I set the tank up, will be gone 6 days next week, I think I e got everything covered, my ato reservoir is topped off and generally lasts 8 or 9 days, I’ve been using an automatic feeder anyway, but I did cut the feeding down to once a day instead of 2 just to limit the nutrients going in, bought 2 battery backup air pumps just Incase of a power outage...I have filter socks and they generally get stopped up in about 4 days, but when they do they just run over into the sump so I was thinking I would leave them in...anything I’m missing? My dad will be coming by daily to take care of our dog, he doesn’t know anything about tanks but I’ve told him the basics to look for, high temp, no flow, water on the floor() so he could call me and I could walk him through damage control...

D1F9CD17-88A3-465B-B0D4-EBA3078E2678.jpeg

09212B41-F8B2-480C-8265-06E45DFF79C8.jpeg

05D72E04-B9D6-434B-BD7F-88D0353D3C34.jpeg

D21E59ED-87D5-4D43-9683-C67AE6EC2795.jpeg

15. AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals Member

I plug my return pump and one of my heaters into a separate circuit with everything else unplugged. I also have two friends trained on basic stuff, one knows how to test alk and adjust my cal reactor.

16. H2Ocorals

H2Ocorals Member

Good thread, all I'm ever worried about is about how long my top off water will Last. I only use about a 6 gallon reserve!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2018
  17. dbl

You can always use a temporary reservoir large enough for the length of the trip. Just put it on the ouside and next to your existing reservoir, put the ATO pump in the temporary/larger reservoir and you're good to go. Just a suggestion.

Flexin likes this.
  18. Flexin

Flexin Active Member

I plot and scheme for about two months before I leave :) For the webcam, I happen to have a nest cam laying around so I got a temp hook, just like the ones used for christmas that have the removable sticky back and hang it close but outside the tank. I can see what's going on. I may move it back so I can see both tanks (deeper in the room) before my next trip. I am still researching other webcams but this seems to do the trick. I guess I could just run one off the pc in the office.

Also now have an Apex so I can keep up :)

dbl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted