Valentini Puffer in Mixed Reef?

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have had a new reef tank running for about 3 months. We have a few LPS corals and some Zoa's as well 2 ocellaris clowns, an allens sandsifting goby, Scooter Blenny, fire goby and a CUC of 4 hermits and some ghost shrimp.
I've been wanting to get a valentini puffer for a while and have found mixed results as to how they do in reef tanks. I think that i am willing to take the risk with the inverts but providing i were to put the proper time and effort into spot feeding and making sure he's well fed than would it be much of an issue?
what kind of experiences have you had with valentini's in this kind of situation. I've attached a photo of my tank down below, its murky as they've just been fed.
Thankyou

20230620_162707.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
some have success keeping them in reefs, others don’t. depends on the fish’s personality.

i wouldn’t risk it

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one but he stays in the FOWLR tank because I don't trust him in my 90g. I'd never catch him once he was in there (too many places to hide). He likes to nibble/pick at the rocks.

You might be OK if feed it some clam shells weekly so he can nip at those instead of your corals. You can buy the frozen kind that are halved already. Just drop one in the tank and the puffer will get after it pretty quick. At least mine does.

Mine eats NORI also so maybe try giving it a lot of food sources to keep it off your corals.

OP
OP
Campbell Bradley

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one but he stays in the FOWLR tank because I don't trust him in my 90g. I'd never catch him once he was in there (too many places to hide). He likes to nibble/pick at the rocks.

You might be OK if feed it some clam shells weekly so he can nip at those instead of your corals. You can buy the frozen kind that are halved already. Just drop one in the tank and the puffer will get after it pretty quick. At least mine does.

Mine eats NORI also so maybe try giving it a lot of food sources to keep it off your corals.
Just on the corals, does there tend to be less risk with certain corals, because at the moment it's mostly a euphylia tank. Or is it more or less the same and just have to try your luck?

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just on the corals, does there tend to be less risk with certain corals, because at the moment it's mostly a euphylia tank. Or is it more or less the same and just have to try your luck?
Acros, SPS are the most at risk IME. Although it could go after the your LPS, looking at your tank your Euphyllia don't present much opportunity for a puffer to get to the hard parts to nip.

OP
OP
Campbell Bradley

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros, SPS are the most at risk IME. Although it could go after the your LPS, looking at your tank your Euphyllia don't present much opportunity for a puffer to get to the hard parts to nip.
So the coral wouldn't be so much the issue and more the tank mates? CUC i'm not too bothered about, i just wouldn't want other tank mates to get picked on?

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the coral wouldn't be so much the issue and more the tank mates? CUC i'm not too bothered about, i just wouldn't want other tank mates to get picked on?
In my experience the Valentini puffer is pretty friendly. I've had several over the years and my current one gets along with all the other fish just fine in my 50g cube.

Now the CUC (snails and hermits) may be in some danger due to the shells.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very peaceful fish. They eat corals a crustaceans. Partially to keep their beak/fused teeth from growing too large. Small skrimps and crabs are gonna get ate. Mine leaved cleaners of all types alone. They will not bother fish. May not bother corals (most likely will in my opinion). Will eat inverts.

Things mine ate:
Sexy shrimp, of course
Pom pom crab
Emerald crab
Snails. Mostly picked at their exposed foot.
Acropora
Hermits

At this point I started going to the bait shop and getting him a fiddler crab to torment every couple of days. This went a long way towards keeping him occupied and everything else safe.

They don't live long underwater. 30 minutes to an hour. But your puffer will appreciate them. If you live in a coastal area this is a great option for keeping them mentally stimulated.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hit and miss. I have had two Valentinis and both were good citizens. They do destroy your snail population though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Campbell Bradley

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the Valentini puffer is pretty friendly. I've had several over the years and my current one gets along with all the other fish just fine in my 50g cube.

Now the CUC (snails and hermits) may be in some danger due to the shells.
They are very peaceful fish. They eat corals a crustaceans. Partially to keep their beak/fused teeth from growing too large. Small skrimps and crabs are gonna get ate. Mine leaved cleaners of all types alone. They will not bother fish. May not bother corals (most likely will in my opinion). Will eat inverts.

Things mine ate:
Sexy shrimp, of course
Pom pom crab
Emerald crab
Snails. Mostly picked at their exposed foot.
Acropora
Hermits

At this point I started going to the bait shop and getting him a fiddler crab to torment every couple of days. This went a long way towards keeping him occupied and everything else safe.

They don't live long underwater. 30 minutes to an hour. But your puffer will appreciate them. If you live in a coastal area this is a great option for keeping them mentally stimulated.
Ok cool, thanks guys. The puffer not bothering the fish is mainly what i wanted to hear. My LFS sells the glass shrimp for 2 dollars so even if he does go for them that can be something to keep him away from the coral. I will try give him a varied diet though and will focus on getting him that diet when i first get him to potentially lower the risk of him eating everything else.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, thanks guys. The puffer not bothering the fish is mainly what i wanted to hear. My LFS sells the glass shrimp for 2 dollars so even if he does go for them that can be something to keep him away from the coral. I will try give him a varied diet though and will focus on getting him that diet when i first get him to potentially lower the risk of him eating everything else.
Just keep in mind they need shells to nip on help keep their teeth/beak worn down or else you'll have to sedate them and trim the teeth/beak yourself or they'll eventually starve to death. Overall I think you'll be very happy with one.

Mine are very friendly and interactive.

OP
OP
Campbell Bradley

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind they need shells to nip on help keep their teeth/beak worn down or else you'll have to sedate them and trim the teeth/beak yourself or they'll eventually starve to death. Overall I think you'll be very happy with one.

Yeah, i was planning on just feeding the frozen clams every few days and hope he picks at the rocks, thanks for the help.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great fish for sure.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i was planning on just feeding the frozen clams every few days and hope he picks at the rocks, thanks for the help.
Buy freshwater clams. Crack the shell with a hammer. Put it in and let him go to work.

You don't need to do this often. I did it once a month. Never had beak problems. Don't leave the clam in your tank it will yuck up the tank. Also, buying live helps ensure they haven't been chlorinated.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What types of snails would you recommend or just whatever I can get for the cheapest, I currently don't have any in the tank so I don't have much experience with them.

Whatever, doesnt matter. I add snails every month or so because mine destroys them. It keeps him active and distracted though too.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm going to have to file my toby puffer fish beak. i add snails and claims in a half shell every other day. some times it pecks at the snails and claim on a half shell. but not enough to keep up with the growth of the beak. so im going to have to get some clover oil and mix it with 6 cups of tank water and get some cutical cutters and do its beak. makes me nervious but also is there any video on this. i was looking at you tube and saw alot for smaller puffer fish like amazon puffers and etc. but nothing on toby puffers.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm going to have to file my toby puffer fish beak. i add snails and claims in a half shell every other day. some times it pecks at the snails and claim on a half shell. but not enough to keep up with the growth of the beak. so im going to have to get some clover oil and mix it with 6 cups of tank water and get some cutical cutters and do its beak. makes me nervious but also is there any video on this. i was looking at you tube and saw alot for smaller puffer fish like amazon puffers and etc. but nothing on toby puffers.

have you tried these? My lil dude goes bonkers for em. I will put em in tank water for 20 minutes and drop it in.

Edit: Nvrm I missed you tried half shell. Maybe try soaking em in Selcon or garlic?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back