Valentini Puffer trying to breed with other species...?

PuffParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all!

I'm new here as I just made an account, but I've been creeping for quite some time since starting to keep marine fish 8 years ago. Thank you all for everything I've learned! This may not be exactly the correct forum to post this, but I figured if anyone knows if this is breeding behavior, it would be you all.

Anyway, this is my Valentini puffer, clownfish, and Cardinalfish. The puffer and clown are bros, they usually hang out together and have since the clown's mate died a few years back. Puffer usually pays no mind to the cardinal at all. But the other day, I saw the weirdest thing and I've never seen the puffer act like this before- it was going up to the clown and cardinal, fanning its tail and turning a bit sideways to show its belly. It did this to both of them for at least a few hours. From what I found online, it seems like this is how female Valentinis show their male they are ready to breed. There are no other puffers in the tank though, and I know breeding puffers in captivity doesn't really happen, so anyone have any idea what this might be? Is she trying to breed with the other species of fish...?

Possibly important to note, I introduced a royal gramma and a second cardinal (to try to pair with the first) about a week prior to this video. I was an idiot and didn't QT (I know, I know, and paying the price)... the new cardinal passed within 12hrs of having him in the tank, and looks like it gave everyone flukes :face-with-spiral-eyes: puffer started flashing the day after this video and they're currently being treated with Prazi. No flashing the day of this video, and no Prazi at that point either.

So, that being said, what the heck is the puffer doing? Stress response? Aggression due to not feeling well? Trying to make some cross-species babies? And if it is breeding behavior, has anyone seen this before with Valentinis? Struggling to find any info about it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss!

I'm not an expert on puffers, so hopefully someone who knows for sure will comment for you here, but I would guess it's some sort of dominance display.

OP
OP
PuffParty

PuffParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss!

I'm not an expert on puffers, so hopefully someone who knows for sure will comment for you here, but I would guess it's some sort of dominance display.
Thanks for the condolences. I sure learned my lesson though, QT even fish from a trusted source! Not making that mistake again. Everyone else has been doing great so far, so fingers crossed.

And hey, your guess is as good as mine! It's obviously not an urgent concern, I just like learning so I would love to get some ideas of what I may have been seeing there. There was no chasing/nipping/headbutting going on which is kind of what I'd expect to see from a puffer who was trying to be aggressive or dominant, but I believe Valentinis are supposed to be a bit more chill than other puffs so anything is possible...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back