Vandy's Budget Nuvo 100 EXT Build Thread

vandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be the start of my Innovative Marine 100EXT build thread. I'll be adding to this thread overtime because I will be moving in the next couple months to St. Louis. Most equipment has been purchased or is being re-used, except for the plumping and the stand. The goal of this tank is to have a thriving mixed reef with mostly softies and LPS, with a few hardier SPS. This will be my biggest tank to date (I've only had >6 gallon nanos and an IM Nuvo 40.

IMG_7263.jpg

Background: I was able to find this tank as a really good deal on FB marketplace, and picked it up for around $200 for just the bare tank. Most of the equipment I've found for this tank has been either through breaking down local tanks and re-using equipment, or finding great deals through Facebook. I've tried to find the best deals as possible with used equipment just because I hate buying stuff new lol.

Equipment
Lights: Either 2x Radion XR30 Gen4's (From a tank I broke down), or 3x Radion XR15 Gen4's I've had from a previous build. Would love some input on this. Mounted with RMS but might look into a custom extruded aluminum option in the future.
Powerheads: 2x MQ40s. Might install a IceCap 3K Gyre too if needed.
Return Pump: Jebao DCS12000
Sump: eShopps RS300 Gen3
Skimmer: Reef Octopus 150SSS Space Saver
Fleece Roller: Klir DI-7
Heater: 300w BRS Titanium Heater
Fuge Light: Some random 60W grow light
Doser: Kamoer single dosing pump
Return flow: Random flow generators
UV: Aqua Ultraviolet 25w sterilizer

Next update will be building the stand. I'm going to be welding it out of 1.5" square tubing, with shelves for a 10 gallon gravity fed ATO, and a 10 gallon frag tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vandy

vandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s starting!! Picked up the metal for a lot cheaper than I thought. Cut all the lengths last night and I’ll be piecing it together today

4D495FC2-C378-4BC9-B9DD-8BB183A87AFF.jpeg

3D9207C6-8384-486E-8D01-56893FC891B3.jpeg

Cut all the lengths last night and I’ll be piecing it together today.

C2459ED2-9397-4239-8A7A-63867796433E.jpeg

OP
OP
vandy

vandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along!
Great start so far.
Appreciate it guys!!

Planning on making a custom light rack for my XR30s with future addons of an orphek bar. I think I’ll do either extruded aluminum, or angle bar aluminum with rivets.

Anyone know how long I should make the light rack? Total tank length is 48”. Maybe 40”? 42”? Never built one before but from some YouTube videos they look like a great way to add expansion lights vs using the RMS system

OP
OP
vandy

vandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a weekend getaway with the wife to Memphis, I decided to work on the steel stand tonight. During the previous work, I had some warpage and had to zip off some of the tacks to get it square.

Unfortunately, my welds aren't the prettiest when I work on 110v, but I'm a glutton for punishment so I'm fine sanding down all the welds flush.

One of the first projects I will be finishing in the new house is a fixture table.. my knees are killing me kneeling on the ground!!

IMG_7363.jpg

Once the initial framing was done, I put in the center brace supports.

IMG_7366.jpg

Finally, an example of some of the fixtures and supports I was using to get squared corners and equal spacing all around the bottom.

IMG_7364.jpg

More updates to come this week! Should be done by the weekend.

OP
OP
vandy

vandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get some help from you all regarding the next step of this stand build. I am conflicted on where I should place my ATO and refugium. Since the eShopps RS300 sump has built in gravity fed ATO float valve, I wanted to have a 10 gal ATO reservoir somewhere to top it off, but I'm not attracted to having it external to the stand. A shelf would more than suffice to hold the ATO, but I don't know if it's too cramped having it in the stand or not, with still leaving enough room to run and route all the plumping and electronics.

Side perk of having the ATO on a shelf would to plumb in an external refugium under it. ATO is on top right, with the refugium underneath.

I know the RS300 comes with a built in refugium, but I'd like to move the skimmer into that compartment to keep the water levels consistent.

Stand.png

Circle and rectangle above the "Sump" (on the left) is the Klir-7 and skimmer with their respective heights above the skimmer.

OP
OP
vandy

vandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the stand is mostly done! It’s partially primed, and still needs to be painted. I’m thinking black for the plywood, and charcoal gray enamel for the metal.
84769191-7113-4118-BCDD-C3AF1AEEC815.jpeg

D22BA762-EC78-4FB2-B72E-2B8941EF4CBA.jpeg

Only thing left to do is build the controller board and she will be good to go! Although I am in the middle of moving… next update coming soon!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're off to a great start :star-struck: thanks for bringing us along..

OP
OP
vandy

vandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my move complete into my new house, I began to tackle the finishing of the basement so I can eventually set this tank up. Framing and drywall complete, just need to tape/mud, then paint and lay carpet. Expect more frequent updates with the tank being set up soon!

IMG_7879.jpg

IMG_7880.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

IMG_7877.jpg

I even ran 1/4" tubing to top off my RODI tub that will sit next to my furnace behind the walls!

OP
OP
vandy

vandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the drywall hung
IMG_8030.jpg

IMG_8028.jpg

IMG_8026.jpg

Here is where my tank will live. I ran a dedicated circuit to power the 2 gang boxes giving me 8 outlets total. GFCI and waterproof housings will be installed after paint.

IMG_8025.jpg

OP
OP
vandy

vandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, I worked on the light stand a little bit. Decided to use 1010 extruded aluminum, and designed my own mount to attach the XR30s and AI blade. The tolerances were pretty tight with the print!
IMG_7920.jpg

Here is the completed light stand that will hang above the tank. Final dimensions came out to 40"x20". Had to get a little creative with the AI mount. I used menting plates to attach the AI mount off BRS and then T-Slot nuts to attach it to the frame.

IMG_8020.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back