Vastocean NH3 test kit

lamjiasheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Vastocean NH3 test kit to cycle my tank. However I follow the steps indicated I got a colour that’s not listed in their colouring chart.
I dose Fastart-M and Microbacter 7.

any idea what’s going on ?

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
L

lamjiasheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, is the kit expired?

I'd ask the LFS where you purchased the kit about the result, because I've not seen that kit before.

Salifert is a cheap and well regarded brand if you need to find another kit.
I don’t think it’s expired. Either way I’ll continue to dose microbacter 7 daily for 3 weeks without FaStart-M. Is that doable ?

OP
OP
L

lamjiasheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know that MB7 does much for ammonia issues, and I've not seen folks report anything about this kit before.

Try it on some new salt water.
Should i drain that tank and repeat the dosing again.
This time only dose MB7 daily with ghost feeding every other day, I don’t see much ppl using Fastart-M as ammonia source

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-ghost feeding every other day-

that alone cycles in you ~20 days not factoring any bottle bac at all, we have threads on it to read as examples.

lets see a tank pic, sometimes they show rock growths that already verify a cycle is done, sometimes they don't.

need pic of the aquarium and the rocks

and how many days have you been ghost feeding

new cycling science doesn't want any test data (because it misreads so so often and misleads and is subject to unstated confounds) and wants to factor everything other than the test kit to know if a cycle is ready for bioload carry.

it would be neat if the tank pic shows algae, or cyano, or some life in the tank / not sure today's that lucky though :)

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on your first post it looks like we're about three weeks into cycling, if you started around Jan 8th. can't wait to see pics. if you've been ghost feeding half that time it's still enough for basic ammonia control, that starts at ten days.

its unique the test vial doesn't match any of the color gradients shown on the nh4 scale on the kit layout above...they're green vs yellow

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lamjiasheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on your first post it looks like we're about three weeks into cycling, if you started around Jan 8th. can't wait to see pics. if you've been ghost feeding half that time it's still enough for basic ammonia control, that starts at ten days.

its unique the test vial doesn't match any of the color gradients shown on the nh4 scale on the kit layout above...they're green vs yellow
It’s actually the first day of the cycle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 33

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never liked mb7 as a cycling source. Its ok to add it but the ghost feeding alone will handle you just fine in the calculated time, in fact this is an excellent example post to study because it shows how he guided white rock into a graduated reef:

that was a feed only, testless cycle you can easily copy. using food doesn't spike ammonia in the usual way so we wouldnt expect a notable rise and fall of ammonia anyway. to use that test kit means you're trying to induce a notable rise and fall, but that isn't needed per above and its quite hard to do using food sources. I would suspend relying on that test kit and merely use known contact time then reef, as he did.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a similar color from ammonia kits in the presence of an oxidizer, but not confident that's what is going on here.
Never seen any use of that kit before either.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back