Vectra l2 bashea skimmer issues

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m trying to use my Vectra l2 to feed my bashsea 8-30 skimmer and I’m running to an issues were the water level in the skimmer fluctuates drastically, to were the skimmer will be running great for about 30 seconds then water level drops to about 1/3 full them rises back up and this is a continuous cycle and I can not figure out why it is doing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a gate valve? Bashsea stopped providing them due to supply issues. Supposedly they now have a fixed level which is why I decided to look at other skimmers. I hope you can get this resolved as I know from experience how frustrating that can be, Good luck.

OP
OP
Blade*13

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a gate valve? Bashsea stopped providing them due to supply issues. Supposedly they now have a fixed level which is why I decided to look at other skimmers. I hope you can get this resolved as I know from experience how frustrating that can be, Good luck.
It does have a gate valve, I was running the skimmer previously with an older water blaster 10000 pump and its was awesome! Out the Vectra pump on it and now the water level fluctuates but it is something to do with the pump.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My first thought would be that the pump is on one of the closed loop modes.
Is there any way you can take the pump and submerge it in a big tub of water and use your hand to see if you can feel any difference in the flow rates coming out of the pump?

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does have a gate valve, I was running the skimmer previously with an older water blaster 10000 pump and its was awesome! Out the Vectra pump on it and now the water level fluctuates but it is something to do with the pump.
Ok then probally pump issue I would think.

OP
OP
Blade*13

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought would be that the pump is on one of the closed loop modes.
Is there any way you can take the pump and submerge it in a big tub of water and use your hand to see if you can feel any difference in the flow rates coming out of the pump?
I’ve tried it in closed loop and return pump mode

OP
OP
Blade*13

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd figure out a way to test if the flow is steady.
Does the skimmer have a outlet valve?
Adjusted properly?
I believe so, it will run at the right level then randomly drop to roughly 1/3 full then slowly rise back to the proper level. But according to the Mobius app, it’s set to constant and the wattage doesn’t fluctuate, I’ve got a reef octopus diablo 250 ext skimmer just sitting around so I may just swap the skimmers and try that one. Only thing I can come up with is the Vectra pump feeding the bashsea skimmer isn’t liking the back pressure from the bashsea skimmer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.2%
Back