Vee Gee stx-3 questions

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it need to be calibrated out of the box ? Mine seems spot on..I ordered a bottle of aquacraft 35 ppt calibration solution and the vee gee read spot on 35 ppt .. also do you need to peel off that little label on the top of the prism cover that says vee gee ? It seems like it dont belong and blocks light from getting all the way in...

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI on refractometers. They drift based on temperature. I keep my calibration solution and refractometer right next to one another and wait at least 20 - 40 seconds before taking a reading for calibration and testing to have similar temperatures. As well, and this is, IMHO, critical... Calibrate your refractometer before each and EVERY use, no matter what you think.

Regarding the label, it will not affect the measurement but will affect the amount of light passing through the prism making readings more difficult to see. Personally, I would remove it.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Vee gee and check mine with 35ppt calibration fluid every once in a while. It is always spot on.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back