Veggie Clip is a Vicious Monster.

Seth Francis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I’m madly confused.

I have had a coral beauty in my tank for a while now, and she does a wonderful job of picking bits of algae off of the rocks ALLL DAY. I recently added a Tomini Tang in after a couple of weeks in QT.

I’ve never been able to get the CB to eat off of a veggie clip, no interest in the nori for some reason. I recenlty added the Tomini in about 2 weeks ago from my QT. After a few days I noticed him darting after the CB and I was thinking that I was going to have aggression issues but it’s actually the exact opposite, my Tomini follows my CB everywhere she goes. If she picks at a rock, he follows behind and picks at it after her.
It’s REALLY cute.

Now the confusing bit; I put a veggie clip back on the glass when I put in the Tomini so that it didn’t freak him out when I put nori on it. With the clip empty I have no issues from the fish. Once I put nori on it they avoid that part of the tank like the plague! The LFS told me he feeds the same seaweed that I have and that the Tomini is used to it... 3rd attempt and the only thing eating the nori is my shrimp, who apparently loves the stuff.

Any ideas?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini tangs are a bristletooth species. Bristletooths sometimes don't take to algae clips because they naturally rasp off of the rockwork, so don't always recognize it as food. Some do, some don't.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's the way the nori swings in the flow of water. Fish are funny that way.
You can try wrapping nori on some rock just so they could start picking at it and start to recognize nori as food.

Asif Iqbal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it takes a while for them to get used to the clip.. they will eventually get at it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back