Velvet in my Hippo?

chunkysoup56

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and found my hippo dead? Is this velvet? I follow a strict QT of Prazi and Copper for all new fish and this just came out of nowhere....

93D647E7-AEC4-4517-995F-788C19BEDC59.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t really tell without a microscope. One thing you can do even without a scope is to give the dead fish a FW dip to screen for flukes, just to possibly know more to help your other fish.
You didn’t see any symptoms yesterday? How long had the fish been out of quarantine?
Jay

OP
OP
C

chunkysoup56

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t really tell without a microscope. One thing you can do even without a scope is to give the dead fish a FW dip to screen for flukes, just to possibly know more to help your other fish.
You didn’t see any symptoms yesterday? How long had the fish been out of quarantine?
Jay
Crap! I didn’t think about the FW dip before we disposed of him...... he’s been out of QT for almost 2 weeks now. I did notice he was hiding most of the day yesterday. I just hope I don’t have a larger issue lurking.... I’m obviously keeping a very close on on the rest of my fish which include a PBT and YT

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap! I didn’t think about the FW dip before we disposed of him...... he’s been out of QT for almost 2 weeks now. I did notice he was hiding most of the day yesterday. I just hope I don’t have a larger issue lurking.... I’m obviously keeping a very close on on the rest of my fish which include a PBT and YT
Velvet is always an issue, since sometimes, the only symptom you get is rapid breathing and then death 12 to 24 hours later. Not saying that's what it was, just one possibility.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back