Parasite ID

Mlynch0224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone identify what parasite is on my Blue Hippo Tang? I believe I got ich or velvet in my display. after losing my clownfish pair and a leopard wrasse, I moved my fish to a 40 gallon QT and tomorrow will be 30 days in copper power at 2.0-2.10. There are 3 other tangs, a Midas Blenny and a leopard wrasse in the QT. This is the only fish showing these symptoms today. I gave the fish a 3 minute freshwater dip and some stuff came off fish but I couldn’t identify because of poop in the water also. All fish including this one are eating well, ammonia and nitrite are 0, temperature is 79 and PH is 8.2 - 8.5, phosphates and nitrates are nearly undetectable. I’m thinking I need to stop copper tomorrow and start Prazipro. Thanks in advance.
IMG_9972.jpeg
IMG_9971.jpeg
IMG_9969.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone identify what parasite is on my Blue Hippo Tang? I believe I got ich or velvet in my display. after losing my clownfish pair and a leopard wrasse, I moved my fish to a 40 gallon QT and tomorrow will be 30 days in copper power at 2.0-2.10. There are 3 other tangs, a Midas Blenny and a leopard wrasse in the QT. This is the only fish showing these symptoms today. I gave the fish a 3 minute freshwater dip and some stuff came off fish but I couldn’t identify because of poop in the water also. All fish including this one are eating well, ammonia and nitrite are 0, temperature is 79 and PH is 8.2 - 8.5, phosphates and nitrates are nearly undetectable. I’m thinking I need to stop copper tomorrow and start Prazipro. Thanks in advance.
IMG_9972.jpeg
IMG_9971.jpeg
IMG_9969.jpeg

I'd say that flukes are a likely cause. Does this tang flash/scratch at all?

Copper doesn't control flukes, and you may not see flukes in a dip, as only one species is really large enough to see with the naked eye.

Prazipro is a good treatment for flukes. Dose it twice, 8 days apart with good aeration. I'd do a water change first to lower the copper level a bit, so as not to stress the fish with multiple treatments at the same time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMG_9972.jpeg
IMG_9971.jpeg
IMG_9969.jpeg
These are a common issue with hepatus blue tangs and are mucus cones often associated with ich. They rarely show signs, and suddenly these emerge. Also noted on the belly of the fish is spots likely from stinging from an anemone or even punctures from an urchin or scratching due to flukes.
For the issue , you will have to treat the tang in a separate treatment tank using coppersafe and at treatment level 2.25-2.5 determined by a reliable test kit such as Hanna brand for a full 30 days and also monitoring water quality too with a reliable test kit and even add aeration during treatment using an air stone. After copper, consider treating then with PraziPro
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die

OP
OP
M

Mlynch0224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say that flukes are a likely cause. Does this tang flash/scratch at all?

Copper doesn't control flukes, and you may not see flukes in a dip, as only one species is really large enough to see with the naked eye.

Prazipro is a good treatment for flukes. Dose it twice, 8 days apart with good aeration. I'd do a water change first to lower the copper level a bit, so as not to stress the fish with multiple treatments at the same time.
I’m not noticing any scratching but I didn’t notice this yesterday.

OP
OP
M

Mlynch0224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are a common issue with hepatus blue tangs and are mucus cones often associated with ich. They rarely show signs, and suddenly these emerge. Also noted on the belly of the fish is spots likely from stinging from an anemone or even punctures from an urchin or scratching due to flukes.
For the issue , you will have to treat the tang in a separate treatment tank using coppersafe and at treatment level 2.25-2.5 determined by a reliable test kit such as Hanna brand for a full 30 days and also monitoring water quality too with a reliable test kit and even add aeration during treatment using an air stone. After copper, consider treating then with PraziPro
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die
Tomorrow will be 30 days of copper. There is no anemone or anything to sting the fish in my QT. I treated all fish with copper. My display has been fallow for 5 weeks with a temp of 81 and UV running at proper flow for Protozoa.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tomorrow will be 30 days of copper. There is no anemone or anything to sting the fish in my QT. I treated all fish with copper. My display has been fallow for 5 weeks with a temp of 81 and UV running at proper flow for Protozoa.
You are following proper protocols. As stated, can also be scratching from Flukes

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back