Velvet in Reef

JGTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeking advice for a friend that's new to the hobby.
Background: app. 6 month old 100 gallon reef stocked with soft Coral, a Duncan, 3 clowns, Cardinals etc. System was doing incredibly well until what appears to be velvet abruptly killed a powder blue Tang & then a sailfin a 24 hours later. The parasite appears to have been brought in by a Mangrove (introduced to the system 2 days prior).
All remaining fish are in a hospital tank being treated with copper. All inverts are in a separate tank. The main display is currently running with only rock/sand.
1. Is this the best plan?
2. How long should the tank run without fish /inverts before it's safe to reintroduce?
3. Can the inverts (sand sifting star, feather duster, corals, shrimp, snails etc) be kept in the display for the "fishless" fallow period? Or can the parasite survive on the inverts?

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, every time new water comes it, it can be contaiminated. However you would be unable to have sufficient parasites for a death on day +2. Inverts do not have velvet and can stay in the fallow tank. All fish need to be out of the display tank, and no contamination must occur. Fallow time I’d discussed 45-76 days. Look up Jay Hemdal.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yes your plan is sound. Have an appropriate copper test handy, Do not put rocks in the system as they can absorb copper. Best of luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back