Velvet or brook?

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished 34 days of cooperate at 2.3-2.4 ppm (Hanna checker) and two rounds of Prazipro 7 days apart. About to start the third round, and noticed the fishes are looking lethargic and facing the powerhead and not eating much. I took a closer look, and I found a lot of white dots on my purple tang and copper band. What should I do ? IMG_3089.jpeg IMG_3073.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3092.mov
    9.8 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recheck that the levels of your copper are correct. The current aim is 2.5 ppm. If your test kit or dosing is off - who knows?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - looking at your arrangement with egg crate - hopefully that is not in your display

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just finished 34 days of cooperate at 2.3-2.4 ppm (Hanna checker) and two rounds of Prazipro 7 days apart. About to start the third round, and noticed the fishes are looking lethargic and facing the powerhead and not eating much. I took a closer look, and I found a lot of white dots on my purple tang and copper band. What should I do ? IMG_3089.jpeg IMG_3073.jpeg
The fine consistency suggests this is velvet. Although these cysts appears as tiny white dots often the first sign of ich, what sets velvet apart from other types of ich is that the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film given the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and place them into a QT with added aeration. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication. While many remedies contain the name as ich treatment, assure it targets Oodinium. My choice is coppersafe or copper power at 2.25-2.5 therapeutic level at 80 degrees for a FULL 30 days monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand (no api brand).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fine consistency suggests this is velvet. Although these cysts appears as tiny white dots often the first sign of ich, what sets velvet apart from other types of ich is that the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film given the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and place them into a QT with added aeration. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication. While many remedies contain the name as ich treatment, assure it targets Oodinium. My choice is coppersafe or copper power at 2.25-2.5 therapeutic level at 80 degrees for a FULL 30 days monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand (no api brand).
Agreed for different reasons but it doesn't matter - you need to treat all of your fish in the tank the same way

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the video, that’s velvet. You need to get the fish back into 2.5 ppm coppersafe right away. Then, you need to look back to see if your biosecurity was broken at some point, or if your copper level was off.
This is exactly why I like to use the prazi treatment at the end - it helps catch problems like this before they get into your display.

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have two other quarantine tanks in other parts of the house (all more than 10 ft away and divided by doors), so cross contamination is very possible although I’ve done my best not to double dip my wet hands. Or maybe while changing the water on multiple tanks… I guess I’m back to square 1 on this qt. Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%

Back