Verios 4 pump speed on Calcium reactor

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just got My reef octo Calcium Reactor 200 setup. I'm trying to figure out the how the speed settings effect the reactor. I get that it is drawing in water and recirculating. I currently have it set at #3. The reactor is still purging air so its noisy. I have a Kamoer pump pulling water back to the sump

what is the preferred speed for the reactor and how does each setting change the reactor?

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would turn off the varios until the kamoer purges all of the air. But that’s just me.

as for the other question, what does coralvue recommend On the speed setting?

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS team seems to suggest that a variety of speeds are okay:
(Note the comments from video and from written portion below).

Most people believe an adequately fast speed helps keeps the CO2 in dissolved state. However, I doubt anyone has ever bothered to compare different speeds vs pH level of affluent at a given CO2 injection rate. Maybe it makes some difference. I think the important thing is that the CO2 bubbles are kept as small as possible and dissolved into the reactor liquid—if you use a fast drip technique, then also to help keep the incoming water mixed with the reactor chamber liquid. I think the faster your Kaomer or CO2 rate, the faster the circulation pump should be, though in practise, there may be no substantial difference.

What @TX_Punisher said, and also I like to take advantage where the pH probe goes for gas-purging. If you're able to temporarily lower the calcium reactor below the water level of the sump, then you can initiate a siphon (uncap pH probe area cap or the pH probe itself): wait until the water level in the reactor comes out, and be ready with the pH probe (or cap) to stop too much water from making a mess. It will not be perfect, but this way it's less work for the Kamoer. Some designs additional CO2 will build up and you'll get noises again.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back