Vermatid Snail?

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Just looking to validate my thought. Below is a vermatid, correct? Thanks!

photo_2022-07-07_11-54-57.jpg
photo_2022-07-07_11-54-58.jpg

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, are they soft and really easy to pick off. I have a whole bunch in my tank and they were really easy to pick off.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, are they soft and really easy to pick off. I have a whole bunch in my tank and they were really easy to pick off.
No, they have hard shell. Some are easy than others depending on the size and area they cover.

OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nope! Hard as a rock, can't pick it off.

Yes it is! Total pest so make sure it doesn't go into display.

I was under the impression Vermatids were mostly harmless, but can spread? My plan was just to superglue the hole, but this frag has been in my display for months - I only noticed it on the back of the plug when I was doing some moving around.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are mostly harmless but can spread quickly into corals, rocks, etc. You can super glue the hole. I personally would take a sharp tool or knife and cut it off.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220707-100340.png

Vermited have a very small, swirling shell with a thin tube coming up off of it. There is no soft to it. The tubes can be very short to over an inch long.

I'm wondering what that is on the skeleton...

Given there is a vermited tube on the existing plug, I would completely remove that coral from the plug ( It probably has small snails on it. You can't see yet). Also scour the entire skeleton. Looking for any more. They often require being crushed completely and glued over, or scraped off with a hard object.

OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220707-100340.png

Vermited have a very small, swirling shell with a thin tube coming up off of it. There is no soft to it. The tubes can be very short to over an inch long.

I'm wondering what that is on the skeleton...

Given there is a vermited tube on the existing plug, I would completely remove that coral from the plug ( It probably has small snails on it. You can't see yet). Also scour the entire skeleton. Looking for any more. They often require being crushed completely and glued over, or scraped off with a hard object.

The swirly thing you have circled is what I am interested in finding out actually - that's what I thought was a vermatid. If not a snail, I have no earthly idea what it could be.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The swirly thing you have circled is what I am interested in finding out actually - that's what I thought was a vermatid. If not a snail, I have no earthly idea what it could be.
I kind of assumed you were looking at the swirly thing, center frame but given there was actually a vermitid In the picture were getting "wrong" answers.

OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of assumed you were looking at the swirly thing, center frame but given there was actually a vermitid In the picture were getting "wrong" answers.

Heh, well yeah... I have no earthly idea what this tube is. I dont want to keep an eye on it to see if it grows, but I'm a bit lost.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Just looking to validate my thought. Below is a vermatid, correct? Thanks!

photo_2022-07-07_11-54-57.jpg
photo_2022-07-07_11-54-58.jpg
highlighted areas are vermatid, is this a hammer coral? , It could be a sponge of some kind just irratating and preventing from opening, could you get a better pic of this area (the purple looking slime) you referred to

IMG_20220707_193608.jpg

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have had vermitid snails in crevices that all I could see was their "net" who were eliminated by death by dental pick and addition of some bumble bees and have never seen the mucus nets anywhere again; I know the plural of anecdote is not data and so don't know for sure the snails played a role.

I too have had a larger calcareous tube grow on the base of a tort which looks just like what you have on the plug, which I wasn't sure of, but convinced myself it was a big VS, even though I never saw the mucoid net, but it stopped growing after addition of said bumble bees - again anecdotes/not data.

So I don't know what the larger tube is either, I had convinced myself it was a big VS in my tank

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told mine was a large VS as well. My acan was going through a slow death for a while and i just didn't know why. low and behold, i picked up one day to move it because i thought it was a lighting issue. Since the removal of the beastly VS, acan started thriving.

Attachments

• IMG_20200821_200324.jpg
    IMG_20200821_200324.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 19

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will get in eventually. Pick this off though because it's better not to introduce them.

I like to keep at least 1 bumblebee snail per 20 gallons as a precaution to take them out before they can do any damage if I miss one.

OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
highlighted areas are vermatid, is this a hammer coral? , It could be a sponge of some kind just irratating and preventing from opening, could you get a better pic of this area (the purple looking slime) you referred to

IMG_20220707_193608.jpg
This is actually just lighting from the tank in the background, aside from this weird hitchhiker the hammer is super happy. Wide open all day and reacts really well to spotfeeding.

anecdotes/not data.

This is the internet my friend, your opinion on something is also data. Get with the program :D

I was told mine was a large VS as well. My acan was going through a slow death for a while and i just didn't know why. low and behold, i picked up one day to move it because i thought it was a lighting issue. Since the removal of the beastly VS, acan started thriving.

I'm just going to glue the opening and see what happens. Ironically enough, this thread made me realize there's a tiny vermatid on it too.. So yay learning?

They will get in eventually. Pick this off though because it's better not to introduce them.

I like to keep at least 1 bumblebee snail per 20 gallons as a precaution to take them out before they can do any damage if I miss one.

This is a good call. I may have to pick one up. Thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back