Long Stringy Worms - Vermatid Snails?

landonbeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed alot of these white stringy worms flowing off my Shaving Brush Macroalgae. They seem to fit the description of Vermatid Snails, but I don't see any shell or body at the base–only little white specs. Could they be in a larval stage? Or something else?

Also, is it irritating the nearby sponge? This is my first sponge so I'm not sure if the white bits sticking out of the sponge are normal feeders, or if it's in defense mode. It also has a few stringy worms coming off of it too.

Video and image here:
Sponge.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I can't quite see the white stringy things well enough to guess at an ID, but I figured I'd let you know the video isn't working. I can see you've loaded a video, but the video itself doesn't show for me.

Most people upload to a site like YouTube first, then link the video here for it to play.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like benthic ctenophores

Edit: almost certainly benthic ctenophores in the coeloplana genus. Don't know if they're harmful or not but I removed the one I had. @ISpeakForTheSeas anything to add? (The video works for me)

Last edited:

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what is the orange thing out of curiosity
The orange thing is a tree sponge.

Edit: almost certainly benthic ctenophores in the coeloplana genus. Don't know if they're harmful or not but I removed the one I had. @ISpeakForTheSeas anything to add? (The video works for me)
Yeah, the video still doesn't work for me, but looking at the pic more closely (knowing to look for super thin strings) I do see some strings that look like they could be benthic ctenophore tentacles.

Generally speaking, you'll want to remove benthic ctenophores to be safe (my understanding is that some are harmless pod-eaters, but others can eat small fish).

OP
OP
L

landonbeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you're spot on! The fringed tentacles look exactly like this.

Looks like I should be manually removing them, reduce feeding, and point a powerhead in that direction?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orange thing is a tree sponge.

Yeah, the video still doesn't work for me, but looking at the pic more closely (knowing to look for super thin strings) I do see some strings that look like they could be benthic ctenophore tentacles.

Generally speaking, you'll want to remove benthic ctenophores to be safe (my understanding is that some are harmless pod-eaters, but others can eat small fish).
I do remember handling the one I had, they definitely have a strong sting, their stinging arms were much more sticky than that of a bubble tip anemone for comparison, though still didn't really hurt.

@landonbeau a freshwater dip works well for removing them, prepare a bin of RO water, let it sit for a 1-2 minutes and gently scrape off the white bodies of the coeloplana

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back