Vermetid snails in used tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter fandaga
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Should I reset a purchased tank that has vermetid snails?

  • Yes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

    Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Maybe

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    1

fandaga

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2024
Messages
572
Reaction score
543
Location
Bridgewater
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used frag tank from this forum with water and live rock. The tank, stand and sump look great, and I’m really excited. But the seller told me that he had a problem with vermetid snails. I haven’t had that problem in my DT. I wonder if I should ditch the water and rinse the rock with bleach followed by acid. I believe the rock was originally dry but tank was set up for 3 years and still has a lot of life in the form of pods and bacteria. Also there are a couple Astea snail that I don’t know what I should do with if I reset it. I plan to use the tank to keep frags from my DT to trade with other reefers and for a grow out and storage spot for new pieces. Thanks so much for the advice!
 
I’m all about the ecosystem. If you do sterilize the tank, I’d add ocean live rock. Corals do much better in an established environment.

Vermatids:
I keep my nutrients on the low side and add bumblebee snails. I only have SPS, so I don’t feed the corals. I’ll also clip the big ones occasionally with bone cutters.
 
I’m all about the ecosystem. If you do sterilize the tank, I’d add ocean live rock. Corals do much better in an established environment.

Vermatids:
I keep my nutrients on the low side and add bumblebee snails. I only have SPS, so I don’t feed the corals. I’ll also clip the big ones occasionally with bone cutters.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about just adding some new live rock to help compete with the vermetids.
 
Yeah I’ve been thinking about just adding some new live rock to help compete with the vermetids.
If you are adding live rock, you can easily start from scratch. Just make sure everything is sterile, including all your plumbing and equipment.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new