Vermetid snails

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just discovered I have vermetid snails in my 140 gallon reef tank. I can see quite a few (I'm guessing I can see about 50 or so) on the rock. I can't pull the rock out and brush them off. I've heard bumblebee snails work. I can certainly order a dozen or so. Any other options besides tearing down the tank?

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following notice like 10 on mine and literally put 2 bumblebee snail about an hour ago. Going to pull some easy plugs to scrape out side but have like 4 visible on rocks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just discovered I have vermetid snails in my 140 gallon reef tank. I can see quite a few (I'm guessing I can see about 50 or so) on the rock. I can't pull the rock out and brush them off. I've heard bumblebee snails work. I can certainly order a dozen or so. Any other options besides tearing down the tank?
Best bet are bumblee bee snails or clean breaks at the very base of each tube with a pliers. Do not snap off at middle as they will simply regroup

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck with Bumble bee snails. Remember they are filter feeders and love food particulates floating around to catch. If you add Bumble bee snails I would also reduce any broadcast feeding you may do to help curb the population.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue. As the glue won’t also eat all of the beneficial worms in you tank. It’s going to be a battle

Nanogeek815

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While bumblebee snails are commonly noted as your best bet, don't get your hopes too high... These reproduce quickly, can live inside of rocks and plumbing, and are resistant to chemical treatment. I just tell people to do your best to keep them at bay, but full eradication is very unlikely.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back