Vermetid Viability

madmarks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How viable are Vermetid eggs?

A while back I acquired a large quantity reef rock for a very reasonable price; the previous hobbyest gave up after a prolific outbreak of Vermetid snails. The rock was dry for over a year, four months ago it was given a 3% hydrogen-peroxide bath then dried it out again. I took a wire brush to those Vermetid shells on the reachable surfaces, but there are nooks and crannies I cannot get to that have an abundance of Vermited shells. What concerns me is a comment from a similar post to mine regarding Vermited snails on dried rock: "Just make sure you cleaned/cured the dried rock of dead items before adding it back into the tank". This made me wonder on the viability of Vermetid eggs in the nooks and crannies of my rock.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They’re tough as nails
Should you see an abundance- add a couple of bumblebee snails which will enjoy the free meal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Really? I'm starting to get an outbreak and didn't think there was anything to do but manually remove them.
You can- two ways-
Break off the tubes at their base,,, I use a needle nose

Apply a dab of gel super glue over the opening and they’ll starve

OP
OP
M

madmarks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Do you think a bleach bath would help lessen the outbreak? While I am all for bubblebee snails snacking down, I really hate the idea of giving Vermetids a start.

In the mean time I will try cornering the local bumblebee snail market. There are a number of nooks and crannies; a couple of bumbles may not be enough.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%

Back