Vertically Challenged build

hiluxhobbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disclaimer: i am in no way a fan of Lord of the Rings, this username was generated randomly when i was kinda young and i found that this name is apt cause my tank is well... short... as in vertically challenged.

so it's been one year and one week anniversary of my cade S2/F 1500 Tank. My first tank was a AquaOne ReefSys 255... which i didn't really like. it was too deep to my liking and too short as well. that meant my RO reservoir and chiller was hanging by the sides of my tank and missus wasn't too pleased about it.

since my first tank i was way unprepared for this hobby. i kept tinkering with the tank kept changing things which naturally kept destabilsing its natural rhythm... learnt about dinoflagellates and vermetid snails the hard way. oh it was vermetid snails that did me in. i didn't know what they were until it was too late and they were spreading like wildfire. before you shout bumblebee snails... well do i have news for you... it sucks to be in australia to have vermetid snails.

so i restarted my tank... with a lower reach... always liked tanks with lagoon layout. my initial plan was to have a mangrove tree on the right side of my aquascape... sadly, the missus didn't like the idea of having a mangrove plant because i mistakenly said it is a mangrove tree. and she hates the idea of having a tree in the house. don't ask me why. happy wife happy life i didn't challenge her on that too much.

livestock:
fish:
diamond goby
longnose hawkfish
flame hawkfish
tomini tang
decora goby
lawnmower blenny
royal gramma

inverts:
3 decorator urchins
2 paired coral banded shrimps
1 fromia star i think
1 biscuit star
1 sand sifting star
for some reason my trochus and strombus never survived, had to resort to urchins to as my CUC. no, i do not have hermit crabs.

gear:
4 X Radion XR15 G5 Pro
160 Nyos Skimmer
Vectra M2
Red Sea Reefmat 500
Aqua Ultra Violet 25w UV
Inkbird 308 a (i think... the one that controls both Heater and Chiller)
Schego 600w
Teco TK-1000
AI refugium light
Kamoer X4 Pro Dosing Pump
Reef Factory Kh Keeper
maxspect F350 cloud edition way too OP. running at 10%

and uh... yeah, having some issues with GHA and possibly GHA. contemplating on reeflux, but only want to use it as a last resort option. currently just ripping them out by hand or brushing them away

IMG_4462.jpg

1697025830719.jpeg
1697025885623.jpeg

Last edited:

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Honey, I found a company that bred a dwarf mangrove plant specifically because having a tree in the house sounds so silly, can we try it?"
Then make it look AMAZING.

How old is the tank? How many gallons total water volume ?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disclaimer: i am in no way a fan of Lord of the Rings, this username was generated randomly when i was kinda young and i found that this name is apt cause my tank is well... short... as in vertically challenged.

so it's been one year and one week anniversary of my cade S2/F 1500 Tank. My first tank was a AquaOne ReefSys 255... which i didn't really like. it was too deep to my liking and too short as well. that meant my RO reservoir and chiller was hanging by the sides of my tank and missus wasn't too pleased about it.

since my first tank i was way unprepared for this hobby. i kept tinkering with the tank kept changing things which naturally kept destabilsing its natural rhythm... learnt about dinoflagellates and vermetid snails the hard way. oh it was vermetid snails that did me in. i didn't know what they were until it was too late and they were spreading like wildfire. before you shout berghia bumblebee snails... well do i have news for you... it sucks to be in australia to have vermetid snails.

so i restarted my tank... with a lower reach... always liked tanks with lagoon layout. my initial plan was to have a mangrove tree on the right side of my aquascape... sadly, the missus didn't like the idea of having a mangrove plant because i mistakenly said it is a mangrove tree. and she hates the idea of having a tree in the house. don't ask me why. happy wife happy life i didn't challenge her on that too much.

livestock:
fish:
diamond goby
longnose hawkfish
flame hawkfish
tomini tang
decora goby
lawnmower blenny
royal gramma

inverts:
3 decorator urchins
2 paired coral banded shrimps
1 fromia star i think
1 biscuit star
1 sand sifting star
for some reason my trochus and strombus never survived, had to resort to urchins to as my CUC. no, i do not have hermit crabs.

gear:
4 X Radion XR15 G5 Pro
160 Nyos Skimmer
Vectra M2
Red Sea Reefmat 500
Aqua Ultra Violet 25w UV
Inkbird 308 a (i think... the one that controls both Heater and Chiller)
Schego 600w
Teco TK-1000
AI refugium light
Kamoer X4 Pro Dosing Pump
Reef Factory Kh Keeper
maxspect F350 cloud edition way too OP. running at 10%

and uh... yeah, having some issues with GHA and possibly GHA. contemplating on reeflux, but only want to use it as a last resort option. currently just ripping them out by hand or brushing them away

IMG_4462.jpg

1697025830719.jpeg
1697025885623.jpeg
Great looking tank! You have a favorite coral in there?

OP
OP
hiluxhobbit

hiluxhobbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Honey, I found a company that bred a dwarf mangrove plant specifically because having a tree in the house sounds so silly, can we try it?"
Then make it look AMAZING.

How old is the tank? How many gallons total water volume ?
i shown her numerous pics of tanks with cool mangrove "plants" and yet she is still unconvinced

1 year + 1 week. i admit it's not looking like what others are getting at this point for 1 year, i am horrible at this. been throwin money into the sea lol. my excuse is that this is a hobby, not a race. you don't have to be good at it.

volume is rated at 370L total, 270 L for display i think about 98 gallons total in freedom units

OP
OP
hiluxhobbit

hiluxhobbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! You have a favorite coral in there?
thanks. at this point my fav is the fluro goni atm. started as a smol frag, it's exciting to see it grow everyday
1697028378385.png

personally if given a choice i prefer torches, but they die on me too often getting "burned" by torches

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back