Very frustrated...I can't keep SPS and idk why

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Microbacter clean and 7 and Dr. Tim's products. There was also a smaller label that I used but for the life of me I can't remember the name.

After I finished a bottle of each (I would rotate and dose after water changes) I found I didn't really have to add anymore. I think overall I dosed for about a year.
I use MB7 and Dr tims eco balance once a week, with good results.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason to dose those bacteria in a bottle products after your tank is cycled IMO. It is just denitrifying bacteria.
Except when they’re not just denitrifying bacteria. These days, I'd say there are are much fewer denitrifying bacterias in a bottle than there are bacterias meant for other purposes.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except when they’re not just denitrifying bacteria. These days, I'd say there are are much fewer denitrifying bacterias in a bottle than there are bacterias meant for other purposes.
I agree, one there's no evidence of what's in them so how can we really know one way or another, only thing known is personal results.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, one there's no evidence of what's in them so how can we really know one way or another, only thing known is personal results.
Most companies that make bac in bottles started with denitrifying bacterias as their first product, but moved on to produce dozens of other bacs for other purposes as they developed their product lines. Agreed about who knows what's in those bottles and if they work, but that's another thread altogether.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all, quick update. I now have a bout of cyano (again). I'm going to do some water changes and wait it out. I added a test sps.(monti) and it's mid-nuke. Fun stuff, lol.

Waynefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the longest time I also couldn’t keep SPS alive. It turned out to be a tunze glass scraper leaching what I assume were heavy metals into my 80 gallon aquarium. What I did was run about 1/2 cup of seachem cuprisorb in a fluidized filter. Within a day polyp extension improved and the sps bounced back quite quickly after that. The cuprisorb isn’t too expensive so it’s worth a shot.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, quick update. I now have a bout of cyano (again). I'm going to do some water changes and wait it out. I added a test sps.(monti) and it's mid-nuke. Fun stuff, lol.
Do you still have that strange algae/bacteria that you had previously posted about ?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back