VERY happy with Tropic Marin Plus-Np!

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I purchased 2 bottles a while back and they were just sitting on my fish shelf. I listed them for sale with no interest. My new reefer 200xl recent build with Aquaforest dry rock. Slowly building up nutrients by dosing neonitro and neophos as usual on an automatic doser. Nutrients after a few weeks were still bottomed out and typical Dino’s started covering everything. ::::sigh::::

Not my first rodeo with Dino’s and only fish and a few tiny tester acros in the new system, so I was taking it slow and methodic. Dino’s kept getting worse, so I stopped the dosing. No water changes, lights on low and blue. I feed my 6 Chromis heavy using the plank. Heavy in, heavy out with high flow. Skimmer just oxygenating the water.

Recently seen a thread on Plus-np and BRS did an advertising video on it and it intrigued me. Basically feeds the good bacteria that raises nutrients without feeding bad algae etc. I’m on day 3 and my Dino’s are 90% gone and sand bed is bright white everywhere! Barely measuring nitrate or phosphate, but I’m going to stay the course. Going to put the 200ml bottle on an automatic doser which will dose the recommended 2ml/day till I get where I want to be. I‘m so impressed, I ordered Tropic Marin bacto balance to maintain it once I get there. I’ll pause Brightwell for the time being since this is working so well.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Update us on how this progresses.

jsargent1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
I did the same exact thing, and let me tell ya, that bacto balance is gold, but will maintain almost zero nitrate and phosphate. My nitrates have been a steady 2-5 using Red Sea kit and .02 po4.

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did the same exact thing, and let me tell ya, that bacto balance is gold, but will maintain almost zero nitrate and phosphate. My nitrates have been a steady 2-5 using Red Sea kit and .02 po4.
Were these current numbers your goal? I want to get to 8-10/.08 using plus np and then hold it there with bacto Using automatic dosers.

jsargent1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Well when I first set up the tank, let it cycle and I was afraid of the ugly stage so I didn’t feed much and always cleaned the tank/water changes. After realizing zero nutrients is just as bad/worse than excessive nutrients. I started dosing plus np, and then bacto balance once it started to show up on test.
I do a 10% water change once and month, feed super heavy and it keeps it low. I’m now trying to up my nutrients because I haven’t noticed a bunch of growth out of my corals despite having great flow, and great light
So long answer is yes, low numbers were my target but my target has changed to see how much better things grow with extra nutrients

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks! Keep us updated as I’m really curious how this works long term.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back