Very Low Magnesium and Alkalinity

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
The test results came out with Mg = 30 ppm ( tested thrice) , Alkalinity = 6.4 dkh, Calcium = 480 ppm, Nitrate = 20 ppm. All other parameter are normal. Tested with Salifert.
Tank is 320 litre, mainly fishes, invertebrates and few soft corals. I dose Pro Bio S, NP pro and Lanthanum (1 ml) every day as my Phosphate and Nitrate were on higher sides few months back. Now Phosphate is 0.03 ppm.
What should I do? Pls help as I am planning to add a Sun Coral shortly .

Regards
Sid

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
The test results came out with Mg = 30 ppm ( tested thrice) , Alkalinity = 6.4 dkh, Calcium = 480 ppm, Nitrate = 20 ppm. All other parameter are normal. Tested with Salifert.
Tank is 320 litre, mainly fishes, invertebrates and few soft corals. I dose Pro Bio S, NP pro and Lanthanum (1 ml) every day as my Phosphate and Nitrate were on higher sides few months back. Now Phosphate is 0.03 ppm.
What should I do? Pls help as I am planning to add a Sun Coral shortly .

Regards
Sid
Testing error 100% what test kit did you use for mag?

OP
OP
SiD

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the reading on the syringe ? 30 ppm on the salifert test kit, means your reading on the syringe plunger must have been 0.98. Which means the colour change happened without adding any of the reagent. Is that what happened ?
It read 1 when the colour changed. FYI I have taken out around 20 litres water and added water with higher salinity around 1.03 using Aquaforest reef salt. The mg now measures 450 ppm with the same test kit. I am absolutely lost of what is happening.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It read 1 when the colour changed. FYI I have taken out around 20 litres water and added water with higher salinity around 1.03 using Aquaforest reef salt. The mg now measures 450 ppm with the same test kit. I am absolutely lost of what is happening.

if it read 1, then the colour changed without adding any reagent ? the syringe is 1.0 ml. So if you even add one drop it will be less than 1.
I think you are reading the syringe incorrectly.

OP
OP
SiD

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it read 1, then the colour changed without adding any reagent ? the syringe is 1.0 ml. So if you even add one drop it will be less than 1.
I think you are reading the syringe incorrectly.
Please read it as 0.1 ....my mistake

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back