Very low ORP

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking I must have a bad probe... that or something serious going on in the tank. I just hooked it up and to my surprise it was reading 43! I hooked up a micro-bubbler and it's slowly climbing up, but yikes. How was everything in my tank not dead if this was accurate? Fish seem fine, corals had perfect polyp extension.

I have dinoflagellates to start. That's might give a little background as to the following...
I have a UV filter hooked up, Im dosing twice daily h202 (3% 1ml/10gal) Wouldn't that make the number really high if anything??? I also have a Sochting Oxydaor running only 3% instead of the 6% because Im dosing and I plan on keeping it in there long term.

Any thoughts? Ph is a little low at 8.08 - calibrated today.

APEX_Fusion.png

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also draw in fresh air from outside through a 1/2" tube into my protein skimmer. I truly thought my numbers were going to be on the high side.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you first use your orp probe, it is always low and slowly moves towards the correct number. I wouldn't worry about it. It can take over a week to adjust.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you first use your orp probe, it is always low and slowly moves towards the correct number. I wouldn't worry about it. It can take over a week to adjust.

Ah dang, total ORP rookie mistake then. OK, thanks for your help!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back