Very new to hobby

peteranddeb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. We just set up a sw tank last week. We have some great live rock, live and plain sand. We are waiting for the tank to cycle. We were lucky enough to get some feather dusters on 1 or 2 of the rocks. This morning I saw a tiny baby star fish and a small snail. Also we have some teeny red fuzzy looking things coming off the rocks (these rocks have alot of red covering on them already). We still need to get the lighting and eventually set up a sump and protein skimmer. The plan is to go slow. any thoughts?

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to the forum. Second, that's a very open ended question that will the bring every possible answer. A little info about your tank size, what tank inhabitants you want and how much you want to spend will get you the best answers. Anyway, welcome to the party and I can't wait to see your tank take shape.

james983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see another Long Islander start reefing, welcome. What Fishlipz said was true. There are so many variables with saltwater when you start up you may not even know what you want. I know I didn't. Not knowing cost me because I kept having to upgrade my equipment. So have a plan and buy the best equipment from the start. Any specific questions just post them up.

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Be sure to take a look through the other beginner threads and research as much as possible! Thats the best way to save money and time

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Welcome to R2R and the hobby!! Happy reefing!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! We are here to help you in any way!

OP
OP
P

peteranddeb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Your probably right I am not sure what I want. I know I want color!! I will definately research anything I plan on adding to the tank. My bf has done this before a long time ago. Actually we have a 35 gallon but we are picking up a 55 gal. today, so I am sure we will transfer what we have started so far. I want to keep the cost down. We started with the intension of having a FO with live rock, but I am addicted already.
We are planning on making a sump in the future. I have been doing some reading, but there is so much info out there, it blows my mind.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back