Viatamines & amino acid

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall adding chelated zinc to make fertilizer available for enhanced pecan crops. Just as in agriculture, trace minerals are required for certain enzymes to generate biochemistry in our reef tanks.

Because I grow ornamental & utilitarian macro in a zero discharge facility, I strive for a cocktail to replace what is consumed in the growing process. Initially, I used macro analysis to determine what needed to go back into system. I am now realizing that the dry analysis of macro does not consider enzymes and catalyst required for complex biochemistry. To that end, I went to Florida Aqua Farms for their macro formula and am in the middle of testing it on macro tumble culture tanks.

[PLANT FUEL & PLANT FUEL TOO
Complete soluble, stable source of supplemental trace metals and vitamins. Principally formulated for commercial aquaculture to enhance growth and color of large (macro) freshwater and saltwater plants and algae. This formula has been used in Florida Aqua Farm’s plant division for over 20 years. Primary nutrients, nitrate and phosphate, are not present in Plant Fuel . Formulated for use in aquaria and ponds that have established populations of fish and/or invertebrates that are being fed. Metabolism of waste products and excess food normally provide suitable levels of nitrate and phosphate. If you intend to grow only plants we suggest our full strength formula Plant Fuel Too which include nitrate and phosphate. Both Plant Fuel’s are enriched with chelated iron, iodide and other essential aquatic trace metals and vitamins including B12, biotin thiamin and others. To save on shipping costs we also offer dry formulations with little water for gallon sizes only. You mix and add ingredients as instructed.]

Through a link on r2r, I found this product, which I think is better.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kora...MI4YvXwef73AIVmo-zCh2-1QUbEAQYASABEgKWkfD_BwE

Technical Background

[Kōralle-VM provides a host of minor and trace elements found by oceanographers to exhibit non-conservative behavior in seawater (meaning that they are depleted by biological and chemical reactions taking place within the photic zone) and that are safe for human handling. Elements are present in natural seawater ratios (i.e. the ratios in which they are present in seawater). Since they are not depleted by biological nor chemical interactions, no minor or trace elements that are not expressly needed by aquatic organisms are present in this product; this includes unnecessary elements such as lithium, rubidium, and molybdenum. Additionally, a full-complement of vitamins are present in the same ratios found in the tissues of filter-feeding marine invertebrates, organisms that extract plankton from the surrounding water and gain their nutritional benefit, and which are in turn consumed by many reef inhabitants. This logical blend of vitamins and minerals is of benefit to all marine aquarium inhabitants.

Of the detectable elements in seawater, 11 are minor elements and 52 are trace elements. Between the two groups, at least 13 elements appear to be expressly-required for the growth of primary producers such as algae, and an additional 18 are either incorporated into living tissue/skeletal material or undergo chemical interactions that cause their depletion in surface waters. These elements are important to a number of enzymatic and vitamin-synthesis reactions for plants and animals alike; additionally, they influence pigmentation, and therefore coloration, of various organisms. Iodine, though an important trace element, is not provided by this product but instead appears in a separate supplement as a result of rapid usage relative to other trace and minor elements in marine environments.]

I am considering using the above Koralle product in conjunction with amino acids on my 25 year old tank.

Laissez les bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laissez les bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

Back at ya, Patrick

FWIW:
I roll with the Red Sea "Colors Program" and "Reef Energy"

Cut way back ;Stop on the "Colors" since I brought an cal rector online, but (lol) still dose heavy ;Drowning with Reef Energy.

Again, Thanks for your incite.

Freddie

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you are going with calcium reactor. After reading Dana Riddle articles on coral nutrition in which he emphasized that organic carbon grows bacteria, but carbon dioxide grows coral.

I also choose a calcium reactor for alkalinity control with enhanced glucose production, which grows coral.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering that bacteria acting on proteins produce amino acids, I am realizing that as part of a high nutrient reef management system, I should be dosing organic carbon to grow bacteria and sponges. For my reef tank, I do not remove bacteria with protein skimmer. I want to use the “microbial loop”. to feed hungry mouths in tank. I was just made aware of the third leg of biofiltration: the Sponge Loop.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/342/6154/108

Sponge Pump
“Darwin's Paradox” asks how productive and diverse ecosystems like coral reefs thrive in the marine equivalent of a desert. De Goeij et al.(p. 108) now show that coral reef sponges are part of a highly efficient recycling pathway for dissolved organic matter (DOM), converting it, via rapid sponge-cell turnover, into cellular detritus that becomes food for reef consumers. DOM transfer through the sponge loop approaches the gross primary production rates required for the entire coral reef ecosystem.

Abstract
Ever since Darwin’s early descriptions of coral reefs, scientists have debated how one of the world’s most productive and diverse ecosystems can thrive in the marine equivalent of a desert. It is an enigma how the flux of dissolved organic matter (DOM), the largest resource produced on reefs, is transferred to higher trophic levels. Here we show that sponges make DOM available to fauna by rapidly expelling filter cells as detritus that is subsequently consumed by reef fauna. This “sponge loop” was confirmed in aquarium and in situ food web experiments, using 13C- and 15N-enriched DOM. The DOM-sponge-fauna pathway explains why biological hot spots such as coral reefs persist in oligotrophic seas—the reef’s paradox—and has implications for reef ecosystem functioning and conservation strategies.

https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Microbial_loop
[URL='https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/File:Microbial_Loop.jpg']
Depiction of the microbial loop. Original uploader was Umarina at en.wikipedia Released into the public domain (by the author).
The microbial loop is a depiction of the microbial food web. The pathway starts with dissolved organic matter (DOM) which makes its way through various trophic levels ultimately to the highest trophic levels. This is relevant in aquatic and soil systems. Organisms involved in the microbial loop include DOM, bacteria, micro flagellates, protozoa, nematodes, ciliates, phytoplankton and various other nutrient cycling bacteria [3]. The microbial loop is ecologically significant because it is directly involved in nutrient cycling and primary production of biomass ultimately effecting large-scale ecological functions.

[/URL]

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back