Vibrant aquarium cleaner

tw5090

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!
I have heard great things about this additive that supposedly makes your tanks look crystal clear if you use it properly. I do weekly water changes and my parameters are great. Just recently started on dosing.

Is this product safe to use and stop if you want without causing a crash? I have heard some products will. Ideally I’d like my take to maintain its clarity itself but it just isn’t.

Theres always little micro debris floating around and I feel it could look much cleaner.
HELP!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1822.MOV
    2.3 MB

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful.....I have had it wipe out acro tanks and I have used it successfully on others. I don't think anybody has figured out why it causes issues for some but not others. It was originally said it was due to vibrant bottoming out nutrients but that was never the case with my problem tanks. There is a HUGE vibrant thread on here if you care to read through a TON of info.

Upvote 0

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vibrant is a great product and all but I would recommend using it only when needed its known to decrease nutrients to zero as a result killing corals .
no it wont crash your tank when stopping using it .

Upvote 0

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree, if your tank is looking great, don’t use it. If you have nutrient or algae problems, small and slow wins the race. I have dosed .5 ml on a 20 gallon tank once a month to Keep nutrients in check and my sand bed clean. That is the safe limit for my tank.

The wrong dosing amount is what will kill your acros. Acros love stability. When you dose even what the bottle says, it drops nutrients quick. It will take down any algae problems, period! Again small doses, wins the race. Hth’s

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tw5090

tw5090

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, if your tank is looking great, don’t use it. If you have nutrient or algae problems, small and slow wins the race. I have dosed .5 ml on a 20 gallon tank once a month to Keep nutrients in check and my sand bed clean. That is the safe limit for my tank.

The wrong dosing amount is what will kill your acros. Acros love stability. When you dose even what the bottle says, it drops nutrients quick. It will take down any algae problems, period! Again small doses, wins the race. Hth’s
Super helpful! Thank you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tw5090

tw5090

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good, I just got this nasty brown algae. I’ve turned my flow up it just blows off the rocks.

Attachments

• 90ABBA1C-0C6D-4FA2-B461-5B29B3045EA6.jpeg
    90ABBA1C-0C6D-4FA2-B461-5B29B3045EA6.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 37
  • C1317F6C-5E50-4D0D-B340-09D7737C71AC.jpeg
    C1317F6C-5E50-4D0D-B340-09D7737C71AC.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As long as it’s not choking your coral, let it ride. Keep up with water,filter changes and your tank will find its stability and algae problems will slowly go away.

I think I posted about using Vibrant when I had algae issues with my max nano. Might be some pictures as well if you look up my name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a bad case of insomnia, you can read the vibrant thread. (Lol) :) I think it’s one of the longest here on R2R. What I took away from it was that Vibrant is the thing people love to hate…

... But I have used it in large and small tanks with success— however do so sparingly, and wait about a week in between doses. I agree with those who basically say ‘don’t use it just because seems like a nifty thing to do.’ Best wishes!

Upvote 0

BadSquishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use it exactly as the instructions on the bottle say then it’s a great product. It doesn’t work on all algae types though. I had success with it against some moderate green hair algae growth, but only after I manually removed most of it. It definitely kept it from growing back and taking over though. Also watch your phosphate and nitrate levels while using, because if you allow them to bottom out you’ll get dinos and red cyano.

Upvote 0

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forever grateful to vibrant for getting rid of my bubble algae. I followed the directions and saw no ill effect. Eventually I stopped using it and now I use mb7 weekly. Fwiw I think mb7 will also kill algae especially if you combine it with a small dose of vodka or vinegar(one of the ingredients in vibrant!)

Upvote 0

BadSquishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use it exactly as the instructions on the bottle say then it’s a great product. It doesn’t work on all algae types though. I had success with it against some moderate green hair algae growth, but only after I manually removed most of it. It definitely kept it from growing back and taking over though. Also watch your phosphate and nitrate levels while using, because if you allow them to bottom out you’ll get dinos and red cyano.
I forgot to mention I also used it alongside microbacter 7. Worked well, no ill effects.

Upvote 0

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant helped my bubble algae issue also and it was an insanely bad case of it. That being said I agree with others, I wouldn't use it to clarify water.

There are a few choices for that. Mechanical filtration, filter floss/socks or rollers to remove particles you can see. If the water just doesn't look clear or looks yellowed in a white container then run some carbon for a few days.

You can also clear up water and help support healthy bacteria with products like brightwell's MB7 or PNS prodibo bacterias. Those work great for me and can help keep nutrients in check.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back