Vibrant , can I use it with a Scrubber?

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling a GHA issue and I want to try vibrant, my question is will it hurt my Turbo Aquatics scrubber in terms of growth? Has anyone tried this while also using a scrubber?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is to grow gha in the scrubber but not in the dt, and your goal with vi rant is to combat gha, I'm thinking your scrubber won't do what you want while dosing.

And can i recommend you monitor nutrients while dosing vibrant? I would hate to see you in the forums looking to kill dinos. Low nutrients creates bigger problems.

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is to grow gha in the scrubber but not in the dt, and your goal with vi rant is to combat gha, I'm thinking your scrubber won't do what you want while dosing.

And can i recommend you monitor nutrients while dosing vibrant? I would hate to see you in the forums looking to kill dinos. Low nutrients creates bigger problems.

Just tested my Nitrates with Salifert test kit and they are high as you can see in the photo

15811095466944207282955847651872.jpg

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached a picture of my Green hair algae Forest...lol.

This is why I am thinking I will have to do something extreme to solve this . I have 110 gallon FOWLR

15811096144391090227928316782677.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is why I am thinking I will have to do something extreme to solve this . I have 110 gallon FOWLR

What are your phosphates? I understand that the measurements will be off just because of the algae consuming N and P, but if your nitrates are high, your phosphates could be low. If that is the case, it might help to dose phosphates and then start with vibrant. I would just turn the scrubber off and turn it back on after you've completed vibrant.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to your particular situation, but I can relay my experience. I dosed Vibrant according to directions in hopes of controlling Valonia. Valonia wasn't affected, but thin coatings of an unidentified green algae disappeared. Small amounts of Caulerpa and Chaetomorpha in the sump did not seem to suffer.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a fowler, why not black out or take them out and scrub them clean?
Agree with this. Personally i would feed fish directly, maintain large water changes and with the lights off to sort of starve the algae. I don't think vibrant is necessary but it would certainly speed things up.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to your particular situation, but I can relay my experience. I dosed Vibrant according to directions in hopes of controlling Valonia. Valonia wasn't affected, but thin coatings of an unidentified green algae disappeared. Small amounts of Caulerpa and Chaetomorpha in the sump did not seem to suffer.
I am curious. Did you try killing valonia with lights off? Because i did the same and saw no effect until i turned my lights on. The valonia started dying with vibrant with my lights on. I tried for 2 months without lights and had little effect.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Has your scrubber screen matured?
If it has, set it to 24/7 photo-period, & turn out the lights in the display.
Let the scrubber do its job - out competing nuisance algae.

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has your scrubber screen matured?
If it has, set it to 24/7 photo-period, & turn out the lights in the display.
Let the scrubber do its job - out competing nuisance algae.

Yes scrubber is matured , so just shut display lights off for a while and run scrubber 24/7???

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious. Did you try killing valonia with lights off? Because i did the same and saw no effect until i turned my lights on. The valonia started dying with vibrant with my lights on. I tried for 2 months without lights and had little effect.
No, I kept the lights on and it was getting out of hand. Strangely enough, I installed new LED fixtures and the Valonia practically disappeared in the DT, but it is still present in the sump. Light shock? Some of the corals didn't like the change either (while others appreciated the new lights.)

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes scrubber is matured , so just shut display lights off for a while and run scrubber 24/7???
Yes. Just run the display light blue, low intensity, for 15 minutes for fish feeding.
It may take a couple of weeks, but you have no coral so no worries.
Do water changes to help get the NO3 down also.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I kept the lights on and it was getting out of hand. Strangely enough, I installed new LED fixtures and the Valonia practically disappeared in the DT, but it is still present in the sump. Light shock? Some of the corals didn't like the change either (while others appreciated the new lights.)
Darn, I was hoping I was on to something lol...

Either way, we both seem to be valonia free now! ;Hilarious *edit* in the dt at least..

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Just run the display light blue, low intensity, for 15 minutes for fish feeding.
It may take a couple of weeks, but you have no coral so no worries.
Do water changes to help get the NO3 down also.

I am going to try this approach , I always prefer a natural method than relying on chemical means

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try this approach , I always prefer a natural method than relying on chemical means
I agree you need some water changes. And also highly recomend Vibrant. It's a biological and will absolutely work. Some algaes show effects in as little as 24 hours.

Turn off your algae scrubber if you use it. I think you could just leave the screen in a pan of salt water near the window for a number of weeks and it would still be well-populated when you reinstalled in the scrubber.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef skimmer , Turbo Aquatics L2 Scrubber , that is it. I removed filter socks two weeks ago and not running any GFO, Bio Pellets or Carbon
What is you PO4 out of interest?

Just wondering what fish you have & how much you feed the tank in comparison to the rated size of the scrubber?

I would use the filter socks, & clean them once a week.
I would also give the substrate a good clean.
I would run GAC.

There's something not right for the tank to get to the state its in.
You need to solve the problem or it may come back after its corrected.

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is you PO4 out of interest?

Just wondering what fish you have & how much you feed the tank in comparison to the rated size of the scrubber?

I would use the filter socks, & clean them once a week.
I would also give the substrate a good clean.
I would run GAC.

There's something not right for the tank to get to the state its in.
You need to solve the problem or it may come back after its corrected.
^This. Definitely need to zero in on the root cause(s)

You could add a rollermat if cleaning the socks is a PITA.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back