Vibrant&SPS

JAKos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so by the title i'm wondering if using vibrant will kill or annoy my sps? i've gotten some bubble algae that i want to get rid of how ever i'm worried about vibrant effecting the sps? i have 5 montis, 3 encrusting 2 plating and a porites. any information would be helpful thanks. :)

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank full of mature SPS and have been using vibrant now for about 8 months. It has done a great job of treating hair algae I was battling and I have only seen a benefit in my overall tank health.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant will not kill your SPS or any other coral for that matter. Follow the recommended dosage and you good to go. Also, don't get discouraged if after 2 doses the bubble algae is still their. it took me 6-7 weeks to visually see the bubble algae wilt away.

I have not had this issue but would like to bring it up is that a fair amount of reefers have said that it did wipe out their macro algae and they suggest to remove it from the system. I did not remove mine in both of my systems, and my chaeto did not die.

There is also a huge thread on this forum that you can search for and see other experiences with it

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant will not kill your SPS or any other coral for that matter. Follow the recommended dosage and you good to go. Also, don't get discouraged if after 2 doses the bubble algae is still their. it took me 6-7 weeks to visually see the bubble algae wilt away.

I have not had this issue but would like to bring it up is that a fair amount of reefers have said that it did wipe out their macro algae and they suggest to remove it from the system. I did not remove mine in both of my systems, and my chaeto did not die.

There is also a huge thread on this forum that you can search for and see other experiences with it
Unfortunatly that isn't entirely true........I have used it successfully on two different SPS tanks, but it did wipe out a handful of gorgonias in a seahorse tank. It can indirectly affect coral by rapidly reducing nutrients. As long as you know that up front, it is pretty safe (with the exception of the gorgonias which I never did figured out why they were so affected).

OP
OP
JAKos

JAKos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks for the answers, will give vibrant a try however if it rapidly reduces nutrients how should i go about replacing them? should i feed multiple times per day?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it on and off over the years. It is effective on algae, especially Valonia, but my corals hate the stuff, shriveling up and just looking generally bad for a couple of days after dosing. I just dumped out the bottle the other day so I won't be tempted to use it again.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks for the answers, will give vibrant a try however if it rapidly reduces nutrients how should i go about replacing them? should i feed multiple times per day?
Just keep testing and dose nitrate and phosphate (or feed extra) as needed.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to beat nuisance algae, dose Tetraselmis microalgae phytoplankton. It competes and starves out nuisance algae. You stay in this hobby long enough, you will eventually figure this out.

I like the sound of this, can you describe it a bit further? What product did you use and what sort of dosing schedule for what size tank? Thanks!

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
resurecting.. did anyone have an issue with it turning some of the green monti brown ? Not sure if it is from vibrant or reducing my phosphates... ect.. thanks

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back