VIDEO: Algae Control Part 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Torresj9

View Badges
Reaction score
My tank has been up for about a month now. About two weeks ago I started noticing little brown spots on the sand then I read and found out it was diatoms. More and more started to appear as it covered my sand. Couple of days ago i notice it was going away but then I notice green stuff on the tank and little white hairs...
So you recommend running my skimmer? I purchased a coralife protein skimmer 65 but didn't like it so I returned it and bough a reef octopus bh100..
I also use RODI water
Is this normal for a new set up?

Cullyisgully

Monti Don......
View Badges
Reaction score
My tank has been up for about a month now. About two weeks ago I started noticing little brown spots on the sand then I read and found out it was diatoms. More and more started to appear as it covered my sand. Couple of days ago i notice it was going away but then I notice green stuff on the tank and little white hairs...
So you recommend running my skimmer? I purchased a coralife protein skimmer 65 but didn't like it so I returned it and bough a reef octopus bh100..
I also use RODI water
yes your tank needs to go through the stages to cycle give it 3 to 6 months

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
I also use RODI water

yes, it is fairly typical for various algae to grow when the aquarium is new. As long as you keep an eye on your water quality, perform water changes regularly, have a clean-up crew and run your protein skimmer, they should go away with time.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back