VIDEO: Alkali Glass Corrosion - Permanent Hazing Damage!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While very uncommon, it is possible for a glass pane on your aquarium to develop a permanent haze appearance as a result of alkali glass corrosion. What is alkali glass corrosion? It is a reaction that happens in glass that has absorbed some contaminants in the presence of high pH (like our aquariums!).

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed that when dosing kalk, again high pH, I need to use a blade to scrap off a thin layer of white coating on my inside glass. Maybe not quite the same, but I swear my glass isn't as transparent as it use to be. Interesting topic for sure.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this on Starfire glass, TWICE with the same customer.
Even Sulfuric acid had NO EFFECT!

Mr.Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad you’re bringing attention to this issue. This happened to the front pane of my Innovative Marine 50 tank. Will never buy from them again.

BrandonM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad I found this thread. I have an IM 40 AIO and all 3 sides are hazed like this. I just called Innovative marine today and the assured me that this was a water chemistry issue and not on their part. Very disappointed in them if this is their final answer. He first blamed ammonia which we all know my fish and corals would be the first sign of that, which it is not. I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do at this point.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old fifteen gallon Aquarium, I used as a Brackish Aquarium, then as an Invert Quarantine Tank. Has severe hazing got this kit to polish it out, it’s tedious, but working.

Tobbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great video i have it on my 10ft tank i thought it was to weak scraper and buy every heavy duty but no improvement its the display glas so i am real ticked the maker didn't know that side to put out
and as i understand its impossible to reverse it, but if any have a solution it would be welcomed!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another cause of this is when tank builders put the tin side of starfire glass on the inside of tanks instead of facing outward. A rare occurrence, but it happens. Maybe we are talking about the same thing?

Tobbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another cause of this is when tank builders put the tin side of starfire glass on the inside of tanks instead of facing outward. A rare occurrence, but it happens. Maybe we are talking about the same thing?
Hi its the issue i thought a custom makers would know that side goes out but not this time

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back