Viking_reefing’s 1000L upgrade. Risky fish and sps in Sweden.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine from Artfully acrylic and ClearView lids in the UK. They ship to Sweden. They’re on Facebook and I highly recommend them.
I’ve actually already placed an order with Toplids and it should be arriving sun about 6 weeks :)

If you're really from Sweden why no IKEA tank mods?

Just kidding. I love the tank. Plenty of room for fish and coral to grow out. Awesome job.
Because it’s crap haha
Appreciate those kind word bud. That’s the basic idea behind the scape :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! Two of my all time favorite fish is two I lost to stupid accidents. My latest moorish idol was with me for about 3 years before getting spooked, ramming in to something and killing itself and the semilarvatus butterfly I recently had got sucked in to a pump.
Well…round 2! Look what I have in my observation tank:
1659819735892.jpeg

I got them a couple of days ago. The idol and tang quickly started feeding in both frozen, flakes and pellets. The semi was a bit more of a spazz and didn’t feed initially, thankfully it sampled both mysis and brine shrimp today so things are looking good…so far :)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The semi and friends have now been introduced to the main tank. So far so good!
There was, as expected, a fair bit of aggression coming from the achilles but it seems to be setting down somewhat.
https://youtube.com/shorts/Y-KoE1GMXiY?feature=share
So beautiful!

New question, how do you keep algae at bay on the back glass? I’m sure you know how difficult scraping is in a eurobraced 26” (66cm) high tank. I’d love some tips and some inside information on the tool you use and like. :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So beautiful!

New question, how do you keep algae at bay on the back glass? I’m sure you know how difficult scraping is in a eurobraced 26” (66cm) high tank. I’d love some tips and some inside information on the tool you use and like. :)
I mainly just use a 70cm razor blade scraper I got of the Swedish version of Amazon. It’s not the best but gets the job done :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rescaped the tank somewhat last weekend. I wasn’t overly happy with one of my rock structures and I also wanted some more places to glue corals / interrupting line of sight to reduce aggression in the future. Check it out:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rescaped the tank somewhat last weekend. I wasn’t overly happy with one of my rock structures and I also wanted some more places to glue corals / interrupting line of sight to reduce aggression in the future. Check it out:

Cool update!

The maxima clam part got me sad lol. That was a really beautiful creature in your tank, especially with all those angels living together with the clam in harmony!

Do you do any water changes? What company will you send the ICP to? I really like ATI for ICP. Please share results!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool update!

The maxima clam part got me sad lol. That was a really beautiful creature in your tank, especially with all those angels living together with the clam in harmony!

Do you do any water changes? What company will you send the ICP to? I really like ATI for ICP. Please share results!
Yeah, has me bummed out as well.
Yeah, I change round 70-100L weekly (haven’t gotten my AWC system up yet, waiting on the new ghl maxi doser).

As I use aquaforest for other stuff I use them for ICP as well. I try to only use one manufacturer as much as possible.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Viking_Reefing

How reef safe are regal angels for acropora and clams in your experience?
I’ve never understood the term “reef safe”. Nothing is reef safe haha. Clowns can host corals to death and tangs can go for LPS.

The regals I’ve kept have been fine with both acros and clams. Might pick but shouldn’t do any major damage.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of post water changes pics from late last night.

1667802908315.jpeg

1667802971391.jpeg

1667802995898.jpeg

If you saw my last tank update video you know that I had some problems with high iodine from chaeto grow. I’ve decreased the concentration in the tank by 2/3 but it’s still a bit high.
However, things seem to be on the right track and corals are slowly starting growing again and regaining some color.
I’ve also revamped my dosing regime and I’m now all in on the modern reef RKS system which is super simple and well thought out in my opinion.

I’ve also replaced my old maxspect twin…something or other return pump with a red dragon 110w which is a beast! It gives of a slight hum but it’s only been in operation for about 24h and I’m guessing it needs to break in.
1667803131876.jpeg
1667802937132.jpeg

Last edited:

Aldemirgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Starting to follow, one of my plans is an SPS only tank and yours is a very perfect specimen for chasing this plan.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a couple of jumpers since I set up this tank which I didn’t expect, never had that problem with a euro braced tank before…so I needed to find a solution.

Ive had the DIY stuff from DD/Read sea in the past and never found those all that esthetically pleasing.

I got in contact with @Top_Lids and they crafted me this beauty. It obviously took some time but we’ll worth the wait :)

1669490950646.jpeg

1669490972366.jpeg

In other news I will soon be testing a new light from giesemann, the V12, before it hits the market which should be interesting.
It’s basically the same fixture that I’m running now but an all LED fixture. Pumps out 710w and has both focused and diffused sections
I’ll report back with my findings.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back