Viking_reefing’s 1000L upgrade. Risky fish and sps in Sweden.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Daniel! Glad to hear it :)
By the way, I can’t seem to update my profile with my build thread, it just said failed. Could you perhaps have a quick look?
Yep! Sometimes the punctuation in the title plays tricks on our software, but I can set it for you. No problem!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Done!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are chugging along. However my nitrate test must have gone of as it showed sub 5 nitrates and when I sent of a ICP test to modern reef it came back at 29…I I had been dosing to get no3 up haha. Not a major worry but I prefer to keep it at around 8-10.

Things are looking fairly though:
1681021859360.jpeg

1681021871446.jpeg

1681021884569.jpeg

Finally got my hands on the new ghl maxi doser 2.2…this thing is a beast!
1681021983393.jpeg

I will be using it for AWCs. Got it installed last night and worked like a charm. However, I vastly overestimated how much hose and elbows I had available so I had to Frankenstein something together since I really wanted to try it out. I’ll have to redo some of the plumbing next weekend.

I also have some maricultured colonies coming in on Wednesday. They were supposed to arrive Wednesday this week but coralgarden wanted to keep ‘em for another week to make sure they were ready for shipping….Italy to Sweden is a decent trip haha (I also added a Walt Disney lookalike after the fact)
1681022295421.png

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten asked a fair bit to do a full stocking overview and I happened to have some spare time over the weekend between spring cleaning in the garden and playing tag with my kid…so here you go!

Axelrodi202

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank! I am not keeping reefs yet but have been researching for some time. My dream tank since I was a kid is a big (mainly SPS) reef with moorish idol, emperor angelfish, and achilles tang, so your setup is definitely very inspiring!

I am wondering what tips you have for keeping the angels in a reef tank without the corals running into trouble. Some things I noticed in your video were having a large tank, feeding frequently (6x/day) with diverse foods, and starting with young fish (at least in the case of the emperor), and having established corals.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank! I am not keeping reefs yet but have been researching for some time. My dream tank since I was a kid is a big (mainly SPS) reef with moorish idol, emperor angelfish, and achilles tang, so your setup is definitely very inspiring!

I am wondering what tips you have for keeping the angels in a reef tank without the corals running into trouble. Some things I noticed in your video were having a large tank, feeding frequently (6x/day) with diverse foods, and starting with young fish (at least in the case of the emperor), and having established corals.
Glad you think so!
That specific question is actually why I started my YouTube channel as I get asked about it daily on my Instagram page. Have a look at it and if you have some specific questions afterwards I’ll be happy to answer them :)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great!
Just wanted to get back to the Aurora V12 now that this is over the tank for some more months.
How do you like this light till now? Do the corals appreciate it?

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great!
Just wanted to get back to the Aurora V12 now that this is over the tank for some more months.
How do you like this light till now? Do the corals appreciate it?
Yeah, I’m definitely still impressed with the v12. The transition from T5’s has been completely painless which is very surprising :)

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something completely different to my main tank. It’s not risky fish and it’s not at all a high energy sps environment. My little Nyos opus 300 pro aimed at lps, softies and cryptic small fish:

1703790872814.jpeg
Looking great!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! Wanted to ask, you're one of the only people I've seen with long term success with orange spotted filefish. Not necessarily interested in one, but was curious what your secret was!
Hey man and thanks!
They are great little fish but not for just anyone. I go in-depth here:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back