Vinigar and kalk

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have begun dosing 2oz of vinigar with a tablespoon of kalk in 5 gallons of ATo water. I go through about a 5 gallon jug of ATo water in 2 days or more. Does this dosage sound close to you guys. I think its under whats recommended but I'm fine with that. Just want to make sure I'm not over doing it but give my calcium and ph a boost.

OP
OP
Lonelyreef

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 100 gallons of total water volume give or take a gallon. I run gfo and carbon I have a decent skimmer asm g3. Since it began dripping from my ATo my skimmer has been going crazy. It hasnt gone to much into my system yet but I'm wondering if I should cut back a little on kalk and or vinigar. This was recommended by a fellow reefer that I trust. But I just want to kind of check. So buy my estimates I have approx. 50 ml in my 5 gallon rodi ATo and 1 tbsp of kalk. These amounts seem completely within the range if I'm doing it right. Any help is appreciated.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I think is a great article on vinegar and kalkwasser. I know it goes against the flow that Randy Holmes Farley's word is the last word, but they are both very similar. The way it is mixed is different, and in my opinion, is an improvement. kalkwasser

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two teaspoons per gallon of RO/DI water is saturation for kalk. If you add 45mL of vinegar per gallon, you can increase that to 3 teaspoons per gallon of RO/DI water. You want to remember that vinegar is a carbon source, and although it will enable you to increase your kalk, you will want to keep an eye out for colonies of excess bacteria, aka snotties. Depending on your demand, using kalk may not be sufficient by itself, since you are limited as to how much you can add, due to saturation levels, and your evaporation. I would suggest that if you can't keep up with your demand with regular WC's and the use of kalk, that you might consider going to a two part in addition to the kalk. Or, one of the reactor solutions.

Here is a good article:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 tsps. per gal is the saturation point, but what I am trying to express is that a lot of that is wasted because of mixing it, which causes it to react with the CO2 before it is in the tank. And, mixing the kalkwasser with the vinegar before adding the water frees the calcium and bicarbonate ions, thus you'll get a lot less calcium precipitation. We use kalkwasser because it has equal parts calcium and bicarbonate. If you're getting a lot of calcium precipitation because it is reacting with CO2 before it gets in your tank it can be detrimental because it will cause an imbalance. Yes, Randy Holmes Farley's article is very good; it was written over 10 years ago. Is it impossible that another scientist may be able to improve on this?

Russ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was written over 10 years ago. Is it impossible that another scientist may be able to improve on this?

Randy's article is from 2005, the one you cited was from 2002. They both contain excellent information, and much can be learned from each.

To the OP, only testing of your parameters will tell you whether you're overdoing it, as you asked. Every system is different and has different needs. Keep a good eye on your ph, alk, and calcium levels, and that will tell you if you need more or less. As with anything, adjust slowly - kalkwasser is not nearly as easily removed as it is added! Keep some water mixed up and ready in case a water change is needed. I would expect your skimmer to react to the dosing, and it should improve the skimming. I would consider trying to adjust your skimmer to the change if you can.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I think is a great article on vinegar and kalkwasser. [...]kalkwasser

Great link - little more needs be said on kalk + vinegar as long as you can understand everything in Breefcase's article. :)

Highly recommended to dose based off his computed ratios of kalk to vinegar.

-Matt

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back