Saturated Kalk/Limewater precipitate

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing saturated kalk (2 teaspoons per gallon of ro/di) at night and I've noticed a small amount of precipitant building up in the kalk reservoir. Is this normal for saturated kalk or should I use less than 2 teaspoons when I mix up a batch? I know it's not that big of a deal to have a small amount of precipitant but if I can cut it out completely by using less dry kalk then I would prefer that.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know 2 teaspoons is full saturation but I always have sludge in the bottom. I just leave it and clean it out once or twice a year. I'm using a 32g brute for kalk so I don't have to look at it and I have the tube a couple of inches off the bottom so I don't dose the sludge. Not sure if using a less or not would help. I probably should try it but I dose 2 gallons a day and things are stable so I'm hesitant to change anything.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know 2 teaspoons is full saturation but I always have sludge in the bottom. I just leave it and clean it out once or twice a year. I'm using a 32g brute for kalk so I don't have to look at it and I have the tube a couple of inches off the bottom so I don't dose the sludge. Not sure if using a less or not would help. I probably should try it but I dose 2 gallons a day and things are stable so I'm hesitant to change anything.
Thanks for the input. I'm currently dosing about 2/3rds of a gallon at night and some 2 part during the day to make up the difference in my alk/cal demand. I started this approach to even out the nightly ph swing.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using a system exactly as you describe. This lasts about a month. I've always been bothered by all the residual sludge and wonder how much of it is undissolved kalk vs precipitates. I use a power head running about 30 mins for initial mixing then just let it sit with a lid on it. I've considered running the powerhead periodically, possibly daily several hours prior to my dosing period, in order to keep it in solution. I've also heard it's best not to disturb the crusty "skin" which forms on the surface.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using a system exactly as you describe. This lasts about a month. I've always been bothered by all the residual sludge and wonder how much of it is undissolved kalk vs precipitates. I use a power head running about 30 mins for initial mixing then just let it sit with a lid on it. I've considered running the powerhead periodically, possibly daily several hours prior to my dosing period, in order to keep it in solution. I've also heard it's best not to disturb the crusty "skin" which forms on the surface.

The solids are undissolved calcium hydroxide, as well as magnesium hydroxide and calcium carbonate. They do not hurt anything sitting on the bottom.

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also heard it's best not to disturb the crusty "skin" which forms on the surface.

I don't disturb the skin except when I add kalk. I run a power head for few minutes when I fill and thats it. I just ignore the sludge and have my hose a couple of inches off the bottom so I don't pull the sludge into the doser tube. Like Randy said it doesn't hurt anything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back