Vinyl Wrap first try - I'm never painting a tank again

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've painted the backs and bottoms of tanks many times now, both with craft store acrylic paint and hardware store spray paint. Both are too fragile, subject to scrapes & peeling. Both are messy and require taping off before hand.
But vinyl wrap is just awesome. For my first attempt I used a QT tank I currently have empty. I needed to get something on the bottom:

IMG_8068.JPG

It was much easier than I'd expected.
Trimmed the wrap with backing paper on it down to about 1" oversize for the space.
After cleaning the glass really well I spritzed it with a spray bottle - water and a drop or two of dish soap. Peeled half the wrap and stuck it down, then peeled the other half.
The soapy water allows you to move it around before scraping it all smooth & pushing out the water.

I did have one big lesson learned - the excess silicone around the base frame got in the way of nice tight edges as you can see:

IMG_8069.JPG

I should have trimmed away all that excess silicone first.

IMG_8070.JPG

It is very tough stuff, meant for wrapping cars. Brand I got was VIVID on Amazon. Very nice, feels good, feels tough. NO MORE PAINTING.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've painted the backs and bottoms of tanks many times now, both with craft store acrylic paint and hardware store spray paint. Both are too fragile, subject to scrapes & peeling. Both are messy and require taping off before hand.
But vinyl wrap is just awesome. For my first attempt I used a QT tank I currently have empty. I needed to get something on the bottom:

IMG_8068.JPG

It was much easier than I'd expected.
Trimmed the wrap with backing paper on it down to about 1" oversize for the space.
After cleaning the glass really well I spritzed it with a spray bottle - water and a drop or two of dish soap. Peeled half the wrap and stuck it down, then peeled the other half.
The soapy water allows you to move it around before scraping it all smooth & pushing out the water.

I did have one big lesson learned - the excess silicone around the base frame got in the way of nice tight edges as you can see:

IMG_8069.JPG

I should have trimmed away all that excess silicone first.

IMG_8070.JPG

It is very tough stuff, meant for wrapping cars. Brand I got was VIVID on Amazon. Very nice, feels good, feels tough. NO MORE PAINTING.
Cool idea !! And I bet you could get some really nice ones with a backdrop on it for the back glass .. I have just a plain blue one on mine .

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Awesome job @don_chuwish
I've painted most of my tanks through the years, but my 233 was built locally and they did the back with vinyl wrap and I love it.
But what I didn't know that you pointed out was it is applied using soapy water.
I figured it was a one shot deal. Either you get it right or it's wrinkled and ugly.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought enough to also do the back of my 55g QT tank, which is currently in use. I may try to just do it in place, it was that easy.
The 'good' side of the vinyl is of course face out - so I can't say if any patterned product (like carbon a fiber look) would show through the back glass or not. Might just look cool on the back.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it back. At least for now - paint looks better. The vinyl looks great from the outside and is certainly tougher than paint. But when I got water in the tank and turned on a light it looked terrible through the glass. The adhesive on the back has a pattern that shows through. You can see what I mean in this video:

I'll probably do more research to see if there is a product that does a better job.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always painted my aquariums with black paint. Very easy to do and I have never taped off a tank to paint it. I just use a piece of cardboard to control over spray. After painting the aquarium, the back of my aquariums have never been accessible so there was never a need to worry about scratches etc. Durability is nothing I even think about when painting the back of an aquarium. It will be interesting to see how a wrap holds up to the salt creep etc. Keep us informed.

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be surprised if those bubbles/texture smooth out over time. I suspect that the adhesive needs time to cure. Maybe wait a week or two and see.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back