• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Violet Aquarium LLC review

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed a good sized order from Violet Aquarium LLC. for tangs and some inverts. This was first time, I have ordered from this Co. and called before placing the order. This is my standard practice with new vendors. After a few initial questions around general care and condition of livestock. I was reassured that all livestock were QT’d, verified healthily, until ready to ship and that they did not ship any livestock until livestock is ready for resale. Was also told that if for any reason I had any issues, it would be taken care of. I was lead to believe a replacement or refund would be provided.

Do yourself a favor, always check and verify refund policies.
If you’re lead to believe something other than what the refund policy states, question it!
Bottom line, this company will tell you what you want to hear, until there is an issue.

Placed order, order was shipped and I picked up at airport as recommended by the associate, I spoke to over phone. They recommended against shipping via carriers like UPS, I’m sure it’s a cost savings for the company.
In general, I have had good luck with both UPS and FedEx.

After arriving home, opened box and inspected, the convict tang was not moving much in bag, just laying at bottom but was still breathing.
I have had saltwater aquariums since the mid 90’s and already knew that Tang likely would not make it but figured, I would try to save the fish anyway.
The convict, blue eye kole and yellow mimic tangs didn’t make it. Fish arrived very skinny, sunk-in belly’s and also had sunk-in face.

Started acclimating, acclimated and placed in QT tank.
While acclimating, I noticed all fish were infected with black ich (turbellarians).
They also had flukes.
As part of the qt process, I dip the fish in prozipro parasite treatment, as per manu directions. Several of the tangs started breathing very heavy, I have seen this behavior before with fluke infestations as the parasite gets in the gills.
For all the fish ordered to be infected, they likely have an infestation in their holding tanks.

After acclimating fish, convict Tang that was having obvious issues, died within a few hours of being acclimated and placed in QT. This Tang was lethargic and not moving around much since received, even when still in bag. This Tang mostly stayed on bottom of sand bed until it passed.
The blue eye kole and yellow mimic tangs, I ordered also had obvious issues, sunk-in belly and face.
Acting erratic at times and then would just lay at bottom of tank and breathing heavily, they also passed.
ordered 6 tangs, lost 3.
IMO.. Losing 1/2 of the order is not acceptable.

I QT’d and treated the rest for black ich and flukes, accordingly, but black ich is not treated with typical treatments, running copper does not work.
Black ich is a Parasitic worm infestation, looks like raised black grain sized bumps, usually treated with a praziquantel based product.

These sick fish (convict, blue eye kole and yellow mimic tangs) never had a chance.
I gave this Co. a try mostly because of the sale they had running.
In general, they have good reviews, but, I now can’t help but question the reviews?

I can’t help but suspect most reviews are either from inexperienced new hobbyists or are somehow paid for, possibly by free product. Unfortunately, this is a known tactic by some shady retail vendors.
After receiving all these fish infested with black ich and flukes. The condition of the convict, kole and yellow mimic tangs, just don’t see how it’s possible?

I typically don’t like leaving negative feedback but due to the fact that I called prior to ordering and was reassured they only ship healthy fish and not until ready, but as it turned out, all fish are infested with black ich and flukes, the condition of the convict, kole and yellow mimic tangs, feedback left accordingly.

If they see this, I am sure they will reply back with some excuse and that you should always QT, yada, yada, as it appears that is their standard response.
Accepting fault for shipping sick fish, unlikely.

I did contact them and was issued in store credit for the convict Tang.
At this point, I think it best, I just cut my losses and avoid any future business with this vendor.

This is a prime example of when, pricing is too good to be true, it’s cause, it’s too good to be true.
Any cost saving at this point will be a wash when factoring in treatments, loss of 1/2 the fish order, etc.
These fish should have never been shipped out, especially after I was reassured, they don’t ship fish that are not healthy and ready to be shipped.

I would highly recommend ordering from online retailers with a well known, reputable, reputation.

Check the forums for reviews.

JrlGravity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up! Was about to order a heavily discounted flashing tilefish from 350 down to 79. So was really curious about how it got down that much.

tyro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JrlGravity I took the chance and ordered the Flashing Tilefish on sale at violet. When looking at reviews I found this thread. I can't say anything bad about my experience. I've had my fish for a week now. It's quite healthy. I ordered only 1 fish and a few cuc. It went into a freshly cycled tank as the first and only fish. The box and bags were very large in comparison to other fish I've ordered elsewhere. The fish hid for a few days only coming out to eat. Now it's comfortable and swimming out in the open all the time and has a healthy appetite. I'm really glad I took the chance and would order from them again. The OP obviously had a very different experience but I felt they deserved an honest review as we both were interested in the same fish on sale from the same place.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back