Visparspectra: Are the green/red/white lights necessary for coral growth?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my lighting, violet/blue is one channel, green/red/white is the other.
I understand the need for corals for the violet/blues spectrum, but what about this second channel, are these colors required as well.
I have been running 70% blue - 35% other for 3 years and six months ago I reduced the green/red/white down to 1% which created good intense colors in my corals.

So the question is simple.....Do corals ( or anything else in the DT) require green/red/white to thrive?

E9E14ADF-B463-4817-8289-73B7AD06A45E.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

White and red are important. Not for photosynthesis, but for other chemistries within the coral. In fact even red can help with some photosynthesis.

2013-07-31 09.30.42.jpg

2013-11-13 11.00.42.jpg

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that same question. I run a viparspectra over a small frag tank and had just blues on since December as the whites are just too bright for my taste. I have added the whites at 1% for three hours and plan to increase the time period over a couple of months. Do you think 8 hours whites is fine? Also what is the minimum photo period of whites that corals in general require. Thanks

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch this series, i think there are 4 or 5 of them. Very informative

OP
OP
Uncle99

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch this series, i think there are 4 or 5 of them. Very informative
Perfect, thank you

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that same question. I run a viparspectra over a small frag tank and had just blues on since December as the whites are just too bright for my taste. I have added the whites at 1% for three hours and plan to increase the time period over a couple of months. Do you think 8 hours whites is fine? Also what is the minimum photo period of whites that corals in general require. Thanks

The only photo period I'm familiar with is zooxanthellae and photosynthesis. And it's probably the most important. Like everything in this hobby all corals are different. But in general, corals need strong midday type light to do photosynthesis. Out on a reef that's typically from 10am to 2pm as a minimum. And 8am to 4pm as a maximum. So peak lighting for 4 to 8 hours will provide a good amount of light for photosynthesis. And that's very likely enough to cover other things corals use light for.

In general, longer strong light will not hurt corals, but it doesn't help either. Once the zooxanthellae has done all the photosynthesis it can do, it shuts down even if the light remains strong. And most zooxanthellae require about an hour of strong light to prepare to do photosynthesis. And the less intense sunrise and sunset lighting really doesn't do anything for the coral. It's just for our human sensibilities.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back