Visualize what 1 ppm means

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet placed in perspective, that 1 ppm copper on top off or replacement likely not going to impact overall system. Copper does exist in NSW and so does phospate yet I doubt most systems have 1 ppm copper existing as 100% off that filter no longer being 100%.

Using replacement water with 1ppm copper will most certainly lead to issues. 1 ppm itself is very high for copper and much much higher than NSW levels. Worse though it would build up in the system as it wont evaporate and to my understanding it wont be utilized by anything in a reef tank as fast as people need to topoff. Even when treating ick it is usually only at 2-2.5 ppm so clearly even very low levels can have significant impact.

Having said that though i do agree if your rodi is 1ppm of something...then its not very likely it has much if any copper in it. I feel perfectly safe using tds in single digits myself.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*educator, to be more precise.

Saltwater chemistry could be a topic at this conference.
ttsltswbd_2x.png
^^ This is hilarious but so very true!! :) This should've mentioned bumblebees as well. :)

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using replacement water with 1ppm copper will most certainly lead to issues. 1 ppm itself is very high for copper and much much higher than NSW levels. Worse though it would build up in the system as it wont evaporate and to my understanding it wont be utilized by anything in a reef tank as fast as people need to topoff. Even when treating ick it is usually only at 2-2.5 ppm so clearly even very low levels can have significant impact.

Having said that though i do agree if your rodi is 1ppm of something...then its not very likely it has much if any copper in it. I feel perfectly safe using tds in single digits myself.
Were I using RODI and suspected my tap had copper (simple enough to test occasionally to confirm or contact your municipal water) then post RODI it shouldn’t be difficult to treat that effluent with CupriZorb or similar which changes color to indicate replacement and GFO can be mixed with carbon and ran post as well since those two likely that I most worry about.

Does seem we agree that 1 ppm likely never going to be composed 100% of any one item that would cause any concerns. That being my original point and to the center of this thread being how minuscule 1 ppm is relative to our concept of what it represents. Basically not much of anything.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black bead could be in the center of jar. I could anyone hope to find it?

I assumed the real jar could be moved around to look for it as it sat on his desk. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back