Vitamin B complex tablet for fish?

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since i alway's read and find the infamous vitamin B deficiencies that predatory fishes face in captivity and how there's not many diet which can offer the best range of vitamin B1, i have some vegetarian B complex tablet's and the doses is as shown as below

What can be the safe range for eel's, grouper's and lionfish?

IMG_20240416_185153.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the bottle recommend for children?

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon is a supplement for marine fish. Not sure what concentration of vitamin B you are looking for.
D369A836-6622-4727-9158-B2CA98845AD4.png
59A08D4C-2A86-43FF-AA26-38A749C77D84.png
I can't really find selcon or even import it since it's gonna be quite expensive, i was wondering if the B vitamin complex wouldn't dangerously surpass the need's of the fish which I believe would be dangerous what I mean is overdosing

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really find selcon or even import it since it's gonna be quite expensive, i was wondering if the B vitamin complex wouldn't dangerously surpass the need's of the fish which I believe would be dangerous what I mean is overdosing
Sorry I didn’t see that you were in a different country. Advice on that is above my pay grade, I wouldn’t want to steer you in the wrong direction. I hope you get the answer you are looking for.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a real answer but I do like the idea of only adding supplements that we can measure. Without a method to determine if your fish are in need of a Vitamin B supplement it is hard to determine whether adding it is necessary, and if you do add it does it get into the fish by pouring it in the tank? Dose a little and watching for the response is a way to possibly see but what you would see is not clear to me either, if it is possible to see any improvement if you do?

More questions than answers, sorry.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a real answer but I do like the idea of only adding supplements that we can measure. Without a method to determine if your fish are in need of a Vitamin B supplement it is hard to determine whether adding it is necessary, and if you do add it does it get into the fish by pouring it in the tank? Dose a little and watching for the response is a way to possibly see but what you would see is not clear to me either, if it is possible to see any improvement if you do?

More questions than answers, sorry.
I don't know exactly About whether if adding it is necessary or not but since it's exactly hard to replicate their original diet in the wild in captivity concern's me if they are getting everything they need to grow and thrive

As for dosing it in the water can help since people do dose magnesium and it does seem to be absorbed by the fish but my thought was to dose it in the food i am feeding for my eel's what I mean by that is (injecting the tablet or liquid into the feeder fishes stomach) and then feeding the whole feeder fish to the eel and I can do the same with my grouper or lionfish by taking smaller feeder fishes

The more the question's the better the answer's so thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Since i alway's read and find the infamous vitamin B deficiencies that predatory fishes face in captivity and how there's not many diet which can offer the best range of vitamin B1, i have some vegetarian B complex tablet's and the doses is as shown as below

IMG_20240416_185153.jpg
Many foods will offer this vitamin already and although content on packages seem small, remember this is oral intake content for fish and not humans.
Brightwell Omega amino has a higher content and will supplement needed vitamins. Selcon vitamins also good

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20240416_185153.jpg

The trouble with mixed vitamins is that the water soluble vitamins in the mix really cannot be overdosed, others might be. Thiamin itself It is not an issue alone. With very high intake, the body will absorb less of the nutrient and flush out any excess amount through the urine. There is no established toxic level of thiamin.

The water soluble vitamins include: the B vitamins -- folate, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12 -- and vitamin C.

The fat soluble vitamins can be overdosed (A and E, plus others?)

To avoid thiaminase issues and to supplement vitamin E, I use this product:

Jay

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know exactly About whether if adding it is necessary or not but since it's exactly hard to replicate their original diet in the wild in captivity concern's me if they are getting everything they need to grow and thrive

As for dosing it in the water can help since people do dose magnesium and it does seem to be absorbed by the fish but my thought was to dose it in the food i am feeding for my eel's what I mean by that is (injecting the tablet or liquid into the feeder fishes stomach) and then feeding the whole feeder fish to the eel and I can do the same with my grouper or lionfish by taking smaller feeder fishes

The more the question's the better the answer's so thanks!
Injecting the food is probably a good way to get the nutrients into the fishes diet. If they are needing the nutrients they will uptake it in a more natural way. If they don’t need it then they will just pass it through. I don’t think I would add it every feeding, but how much and how often is the question.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back