Vitamin soak for an eel?

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zebra moray won't eat his vitamins! I've tried feeding him every type of seafood under the ocean but he'll only eat table shrimp. Everything else he either ignores or spits into a powerhead for me to clean up. Gross.

I'm ok feeding him shrimp forever but I'm worried about the lack of nutritional diversity. I leave some of the shell on for calcium but that doesn't seem like enough... Can anyone recommend a vitamin soak or supplement I could use on the shrimp while I try to get him to be less picky? Am I worrying too much?

Thank you!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer rely on a vit soak to meet nutritional needs of predatory fish. People I know that are religious about supplementation still have no long term success with predators or eels. Zebra eels live over 20 years in the wild. You never know how much actually stays with the food or how much of the fat soluble ingredients becomes toxic.

I suggest feeding fresh when you can, I literally purchase 3 jumbo shrimp. Freeze only very small quantities, frozen food losses much of it's nutritional value. Shrimp also contains thiaminese, while fresh the balance of B vitamins outweigh the effects of thiaminese, frozen not so much. Keep the shells on and keep reef conditions of ca and mg, I keep my mg at 1400ppm. Fish do use elements from the water. Occasionally feed him a live fiddler crab as well as other fresh items rhat would be in his natural diet.

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, thank you so much for the advice!

I try to feed him never-frozen shrimp when I can get it - good to know it's more nutritious. He's in a reef tank so I already monitor ca and mg...

Fiddler crabs are a great idea. I'm thinking I'll pop in a handful of live crustaceans whenever my LFS has them in stock for my zebra and my marine betta to hunt. Hopefully they'll actually eat them instead of shacking up with them like they did with the peppermint shrimp lol.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back