Vivosun t5

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
I recently looked at a 4 bulb t5 vivosun fixture. I wanted to use this to light my 20 long reef. It’s consindered a grow light, but could I use this as long as I used the right bulbs? I was wondering because I see other reefers using this and don’t want to break the bank on expensive lights for such a small tank and can’t upgrade either. It’s all the room I have.

The reason I’m asking is because of the fixture being above an aquarium. Will it take the moisture? They don’t come covered. But I see so many people using them with success. Will it pose a fire hazard? I’m able to hang it around 8 to 10 inches above the water surface on my home made aluminum stand.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know much about these, but I'll bump it in case someone else can help.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be totally fine, so long as it can run good quality bulbs for your reef and has good reflectors.. I have an 8 bulb T5 grow light that was originally designed for...uh...plants, that I bought from someone local and put ATI bulbs in for one of my coral tanks and it's great.

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
I recently looked at a 4 bulb t5 vivosun fixture. I wanted to use this to light my 20 long reef. It’s consindered a grow light, but could I use this as long as I used the right bulbs? I was wondering because I see other reefers using this and don’t want to break the bank on expensive lights for such a small tank and can’t upgrade either. It’s all the room I have.

The reason I’m asking is because of the fixture being above an aquarium. Will it take the moisture? They don’t come covered. But I see so many people using them with success. Will it pose a fire hazard? I’m able to hang it around 8 to 10 inches above the water surface on my home made aluminum stand.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
How did this workout for you?

OP
OP
R

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this workout for you?
It's a great light. But since my stand for it isn't that appealing I've been using two Puck led fixtures. Since I don't have a par meter there's now way to tell but I believe a 4 bulb is quite a bit of par. But honestly for 125 Canadian you really can't beat the value. All you really need is an adjustable support for it, 4 good reef bulbs and a par meter and good to go. A 20 long tank is only 12 inches deep. I had it about 8 inches above the water line. Which I think my tank was getting blasted with par. No way to tell without a par meter though.

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a great light. But since my stand for it isn't that appealing I've been using two Puck led fixtures. Since I don't have a par meter there's now way to tell but I believe a 4 bulb is quite a bit of par. But honestly for 125 Canadian you really can't beat the value. All you really need is an adjustable support for it, 4 good reef bulbs and a par meter and good to go. A 20 long tank is only 12 inches deep. I had it about 8 inches above the water line. Which I think my tank was getting blasted with par. No way to tell without a par meter though.
Thanks! I have a 2 bulb one coming in and 2 ati blue+ coming Friday. Still trying to find a way to rent a par meter.

OP
OP
R

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have a 2 bulb one coming in and 2 ati blue+ coming Friday. Still trying to find a way to rent a par meter.
Most local lfs will have one for rent if you're near one. I just never bothered. They usually ask for a deposit until you bring it back in working order. The actual rental fee is like 30 bucks for two days Canadian. So US would be like 18 to 20 bucks likely.

I'm actually thinking on building an aluminum angle frame that mounts on top of my tank.ome that will prevent side shift. Needs to be aluminum or stainless to prevent corrosion. Honestly hybrid is the way to go but I refuse to pay crazy prices for a low budget tank. I have an or3 blue plus and I rigged a sunblaster t5 on it and the color is amazing. You get that sharpness that only led can provide and then the fulfillment of the t5 ho. But since the orphek mounting bracket only goes like 8 inches high I'm too high in par for a 20 long lol. I'm eventually upgradinf to a water box 30 bare tank or an aio. Then I'll start using my orphek blue plus and maybe two t5 bulbs. Just gotta get a plan on how I want to hang them . Hybrid in my opinion is the best. As far as appearance anyways

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand. This is a low budget frag tank. See if I can get everything to grow nicely. Share out some coral. And propagate some LPS for trade or additional tanks. Caught the bug and now it’s an obsession lol.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back