OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haven't updated the thread in a bit over a month as the tank was cycling, but have been out of cycle for a few weeks and being lazy. Time to catch up.

Update one - biopellet reactor is up and running. I wanted to get some extra room, so I modified the Geo Reactor to move the screen filter closer into the top lid. Also had to redo the plumbing on the pellet reactor to hang it top the top of the cabinet.

Update two - while on the topic of the cabinet, I added lighting so now I can see what I am actually doing there. Went with $20 amazon led strip that turned out to be junk, can't always trust a cheap product to do the right job. $50 strip from Lowe's is superb, much brighter and much improved adhesion.

Update three - Livestock:
Cleanup crew of a dozen ninja star snails and 2 cleaner shrimp (for now, more cleanup joining in a few weeks)
2x Flavo Anthias (#3 committed suicide)
1x Magna Wrasse
1x Royal Flasher Wrasse
1x Gem Tang

Aleks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated the thread in a bit over a month as the tank was cycling, but have been out of cycle for a few weeks and being lazy. Time to catch up.

Update three - Livestock:
Cleanup crew of a dozen ninja star snails and 2 cleaner shrimp (for now, more cleanup joining in a few weeks)
2x Flavo Anthias (#3 committed suicide)
1x Magna Wrasse
1x Royal Flasher Wrasse
1x Gem Tang
Great work. For jumpers it is necessary to establish a grid, otherwise losses will be still.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update four (Thanks for the reminder Aleks), custom lid from Artfully Acrylic since nicely on top of the tank :)

I will take some pics this upcoming weekend if not sooner guys, unfortunately lights are on night mode when I get home from work.

I am also hopefully starting to work the right side of the cabinet this weekend, cable organization + case for all the components. Picked up a Tambour Door Kit that hopefully arrives this week.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since @revhtree is shaming me into updating the thread (Yes Rev, I am looking at you), here goes and I will try to slack less next time:

Tank itself is doing great. Went through a massive diatom bloom, when I realized my RODI needs some improvement. So, I added a 5 micron pre-filter, and changed DI from single canister to dual. Additional improvements are a booster pump with auto-shut-off and a waste water auto-shut-off valve. I also used this opportunity to finally build the water change system.

IMG_4582.JPG
IMG_4584.JPG

Livestock update:
Have a juv trigger & a female pin-tail wrasse in QT, with a duo of purple queen anthias. I don't think anthias are going to make it to the DT as they are impossible to get to eat, but I am trying. 1 week of copper is done, will be ready to transfer them next week.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update for 8/22.

I am done setting up and dialing in my calcium reactor. Had some issues initially with a bad pinpoint marine Ph probe, got a replacement better quality probe and it's all set. Alk finally is going up. My next big project is the cabinet work to hide all the electronics, but that's a September project.

Livestock wise here's what's in the tank in addition to CUC:
Fish:
  • Gem Tang
  • Flasher Wrasse
  • Magma Wrasse
  • Unknown Trigger (time will tell, hopefully a linespot, but most likely a goldenback)
  • Neon Dottyback
in QT I have:
  • Trio of Bimac Antheas
  • Powderblue Tang
Inverts:
  • Two cleaner shrimp
  • An army of Zoas
  • Meat Coral
  • Warpaint Scoly
  • Superman Scoly
  • 9 small SPS colonies
  • WWC OG Bounce
  • Unknown Bounce
  • Acans and chalices

Last edited:

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your setup looks great, where did you get all the red PVC and fittings?

Aleks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. All is well. What are the current water parameters in the system?
How is the flow through the CR reactor made, how much CO2 is fed?
Why did not put Balling?

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey. All is well. What are the current water parameters in the system?
How is the flow through the CR reactor made, how much CO2 is fed?
Why did not put Balling?

Hey Aleks. The system is slowly stabilizing, Alk is 7.9, Calcium at 440. The reactor is fed by a standalone Sycce 0.5 pump, Co2 is at 10 bubbles per minute, runs for an hour every 4 hours.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick October update: All fish are in the basement, undergoing treatment. Latest fish purchase didn't work out well, after 3 weeks in QT still infected DT with Ich & internal parasites. So everyone is caught, in hospital system, undergoing 4 weeks of Cupramine + fed twice a day with PE Mysis + metro + focus combo (thanks @Humblefish for the recipe). December 10th they all go back in (76 days from transfer day to make sure DT is clean of Ich).

Tank-wise, I switched to all Hydra 26HD lights. Had some issues with wifi interference in the house, but on a separate controller they work beautifully, and I have an abundance of old iPhones in the house. I also had Ph issues in the tank as ambient house Co2 keeps swinging drastically. This was my first "outside" home improvement - drilled a little air supply to the skimmer and it seems to work beautifully. Ph is much more stable. I did screw it up this weekend though, my brag tank for some cleaning finally, and I let the old egg-crate air dry on the porch right where the intake to the skimmer is. Ohh boy what a Ph swing!!! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back