Vodka dosing experts

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little history about my tank. Tank is a 60" x 30" x 30" lagoon tank with 40 gallon sump. Running a vertex omega 150 skimmer. Been running for 4 years without too much maintenance being done on it. Thus build up of nitrates and phosphates was running fowlr for most of those 4 years.

Fast forward to today. Nitrates are 50 and phosphates .12. I have made some upgrades. Now using RO water. Increased flow in tank with 2 maxspect xf250 gyre pumps.

I have been dosing vodka for about 3 weeks and am at 4ml per day. My question is whether i should of seen the stinky skimmate already or is it still to early. Skimmate has increased but not really that sulphur stinky smell yet. Just wondering if I should be looking to increase the size of my skimmer or not. I have done a couple water changes and siphoned my sand bed to get rid of some of the detritus in the sand.

Any help would be appreciated. It could be that i just have to continue to add more vodka over time as the breakdown will take time.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nature of the skimmate is not, IMO, any particular indication of what is happening. There are too many other factors that impact it.

FWIW, in the 20 years I had my tank up, my skimmate never smelled bad. It always smelled "oceany" to me. :)

I'd just keep watching and monitoring, and upward adjust after a while if nothing happens, but it does take time if the dose starts on the lowish side. :)

OP
OP
C

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there harm in increasing the dose a little quicker? I know of the bacterial bloom and the oxygen depletion. Other than those is there any other reason to take it slow?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there harm in increasing the dose a little quicker? I know of the bacterial bloom and the oxygen depletion. Other than those is there any other reason to take it slow?

No (at least in my opinion), as long as you can back off quickly too if nitrate drops too much. :)

OP
OP
C

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would going up by 1ml every 3 days be a quick increase or is that something that a tank of this size and the length it has been running should be able to handle?? Or would you reccomend even quicker till you see a reduction in nitrates.

OP
OP
C

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would going up by 1ml every 3 days be a quick increase or is that something that a tank of this size and the length it has been running should be able to handle?? Or would you reccomend even quicker till you see a reduction in nitrates.

OP
OP
C

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am now up to 16 ml of vodka per day and have not seen a reduction in my nitrates or phosphates yet. Algae does appear to be weaker but still there. Any ideas what kind of a dose it may take per day to bring it down. I am dosing at 10 am and 10:30am. 2/3 dose than 1/3 more. I make vodka fir a living so have an abundance but just wondering when I may see a drop. I know every tank is different. Just wondering if you had an idea.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep adding to it but slow down on increase time. 1 ml a week. It took me a little over a month to start seeing results.

OP
OP
C

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am taking it up 1ml every two days. I have not seen any drop yet. I have been at it for over a month but it has taken that month to reach this volume of vodka. There is a small bacterial bloom but no cloudy water. Should i not continue this increase until i at least start to see a drop in nitrates. How big a system are you running and how high were your nitrates to start?

OP
OP
C

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty confident in that reading. Using salifert test kit that was new last month. I have just started using vibrant aswell so that should provide another carbon source.

OP
OP
C

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Situation has changed slightly. It appears a full blown bacterial bloom in the water column today. Fish and coral seem unaffected right now. Should I cutback some on the vodka as I am dosing vodka at 16mL a day and vibrant 20mL twice a week for a dirty tank method. (Only dosed vibrant twice thus far) Since i essentially have two carbon sources I assume that is what caused the bloom.

I have been vaccuming the sand bed on water changes over the past couple months to rid the excess waste.

Will the bacteria eventually work through this waste and bring down the nitrates?

If you are confident in your nitrate reading, I'd keep upping it a bit, or maybe add some vinegar to it. ;)

OP
OP
C

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that vibrant is bacteria. It seems to do a good job at combating algae and reducing nitrates and phosphates aswell. Would it not be a good option to just cut back the vodka and use both sources of bacteria to combat the nitrates and the algae at the same time?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that vibrant is bacteria. It seems to do a good job at combating algae and reducing nitrates and phosphates aswell. Would it not be a good option to just cut back the vodka and use both sources of bacteria to combat the nitrates and the algae at the same time?

You have no shortage of bacteria and I can't see a reason to want to add more.

You need the bacteria you already have to grow and take up nutrients. :)

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On a 75 gallon tank 20ml a day of vinegar was the dose that starting reducing nutrients. Once I got them low - I reduced it by a lot.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? I’ve been thinking about starting to dose vodka in my 240 as I just can’t seem to get my P below 2 and N below 15

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back