Vodka Dosing Question!!!

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah, I just started drinking... I mean dosing Vodka in my 500 gal tanks. Im just curious how this will be affected when I do my water changes. I typically always do a 40% water change and wonder will this have any change on the system. does anyone know???

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that if you stay consistent with both the water changes as well as your dosing regimen, you should be fine.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that if you stay consistent with both the water changes as well as your dosing regimen, you should be fine.

+1

You might be able to cut it down to 25%, but I would wait and see after 2-3 months of dosing and see where you are at via testing.

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wanting to see if it might be the answer to reducing the algae that grows on the white egg crate that so many of us have.

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing vodka for about 1.5 year. It has kept algea of my eggcrate and rocks. Before I started doing. I had the same problem. Granted this is a 40b and I do a 25% water change with no negative effects.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get no algae in my tank at all. I clean my glass about once every 4 or 5 days. My racks have nothing but coralline algae on them. I have about 5 or six new frag plugs that I placed in the tank and no algae on them and they have been in there for about a month or two. Here is a pic of my tank: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f194/75-gallon-tank-pics-25274.html

edit* I also took GFO offline about 2 months ago and PO4 are still around .03 - .04. I did my last water change three months ago also. I will monitor to see what my limit is for time between wc's.

Last edited:

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wanting to see if it might be the answer to reducing the algae that grows on the white egg crate that so many of us have.

That is from the phos or whatever leaching out of the white egg crate. I would try the black stuff.

That or soak the white egg crates in bleach, then vinegar - I heard that helps.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, white eggcrate leaches PO4s (so does black, sorry Ian ;) ), however you can leach it out prior to introducing into our tanks. I soak it in a big, shallow, long rubbermaid in RO/DI for at least a week doing 100% water changes on it daily.

I would add that I've noticed less algae growth on black eggcrate in other peoples tanks and I contribute that to the reflection it gives off compared to the white...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back