Vodka Dosing

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I started vodka dosing based on the recipe. I'm on day 5 of the recipe at 2.6 ml per day for my 350 gallon display and 75 gallon sump which is half full, and minus displacement of rocks and sand I went with an even number of 325 gallons. So far, it seems to be slowly decreasing my phosphates. I lowered them from .15 to .11 with phosphate-e then started dosing. Within 2 days of my dosing I went from .11 to .09. The third day they remained steady at .08 ppm. Well within margin of error. I started the day 4 dosing and doubling yesterday to the 2.6 ml. I'll test phosphates today to see if they've gone up or down or stayed the same.

My question is if I'm going to be gone a while is there a way to dose vodka from a doser. I've got alk, Calcium, and mag each in separate dosing containers. I was wondering if I could add a concentration of vodka to my 1.5 liter bubble magus calcium doser? Or would the vodka disrupt the calcium chloride? I would base it on my dosing amount.

So, if I'm dosing 200 ml per day of calcium chloride solution out of 1500 ml. I would add and mix enough vodka into the solution to.

I would have 7 days of dosing, there for 7 *2.6 ml = 18 ml of vodka added to the calcium chloride doser. Would that work or would it separate out and dose all the vodka from the bottom or the top at once?

I'm going to be gone for 2 weeks in June and would like to do this automatically vs. trust someone to dump in 2-3 ml of vodka mixed with the tank water. I guess unless I premix tank water with the vodka, but, that could cause a bacterial bloom in the preportioned containers I would think? Unless I refridgerate them?

Thoughts on how to vodka dose while gone?

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix nopox 50/50 with rodi water and use a dosing pump. The reason I mix is that the pump is not accurate at 1-2ml dosages. I wouldn’t mix it with anything else because of bacteria (as you mentioned). At the 50/50 ratio I don’t need refrigeration.

Stephen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use a stand alone doser without it mixed with anything else. Mixing it with the calcium chloride may not have any ill effects but if you're unable to monitor and correct a possible problem or emergency situation if one arises is it really worth it?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try it now, while you are home and can monitor results.
BTW, if the carbon dosing is achieving desired results at current dose, you might want to stay there.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back