Vodka methods

Charlie brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to know if this really is successful at controlling brown algae and if it will harm or effect corals I have some brown algae that's starting to get out of control and making my rocks look very ugly along with the sand I've had some sand sifting gobby but I know they don't eat the brown algae but just stir it up but since I can't keep one in my tank without jumping out I decided to not get them anymore I have lots of vodka me and my wife love bloody Mary's and always keep a bottle on hand

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Dino sticky at the top of this forum and make sure that's not what you have. Carbon dosing would be you going in the wrong direction if that's the case. ;)

In a nutshell, you can take a sample of the brown stuff from your tank and shake it up in a vial to homogenize/break up the sample. Then place it under a light to see if it regroups into a mass, or just stays settled apart. Dino's are about the only thing that will regroup on its own.

Check out the first post on that thread for the guide....dig into the thread comments when you're done with that or if you want to look for pics of other blooms to compare with, etc. :)

Here's hoping that it's not dino's!!! :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 193 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back